1971 Bus . . . Engine Issues

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

1971 Bus . . . Engine Issues

Post by rmannon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm

I was going to post pictures about my brand new push rod tubes tonight when I got home, but alas that is not the case. Mr. Tee died today on 217 just south of Walker Rd. I got him home thanks to AAA but he seems seized. I was coming south on 217 when I heard a “pop” and he lost power. I quickly got him over to the right and shut him off. It was loud out on the highway so I could not hear what was going on as I tried to turn him over. But I could feel that he wasn't turning over. So I got him home and as we took him off the tow truck I put him in reverse and let the clutch out. I live on a steep hill and he did not move off the trailer. Pushed the clutch in and he moved right down into his spot at the curb. I think something blew up in the motor. I really don't have the time right now to pull the engine apart and attempt the rebuild myself. What I would like to find is an engine builder in the Portland metro that will give me a warranty. I have been to D&M before but only for small bits (carb screws I couldn't find anywhere else). So to all the PDX guys, is there a shop you would recommend that can build me an engine that will last and be under warranty?

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 pm

what year is your bus? Type IV engine?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 am

It's a 1971, last year of the 1600. I'd like to keep him type 1 style but wouldn't mind going bigger.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 am

Bummer about the engine. Type 1 will be easier to source parts for (and bearings if you need em' :pale:) no bout a doubt it. Start an engine build thread - anyone who is cool is doin' it. :flower:
-'72 Westy-

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Hiya rm,

I did reply over on your project thread. But here you've asked about shops, so............

To the extent possible, I'd recommend that you lay hands on yourself. The quality coming out of shops (even those with good reputations) can and does vary. There are lotsa folks (with T1 rebuild experience) around these parts who are willing to help you out. Most of us are strict adherents of doing it "the correct way".

It seems that you are a west sider like me. If you have not already done so I'd suggest that you get to know Mike Crist at Discount Import Parts near Washington Square. Mike not only knows parts backwards and forwards but he is an accomplished wrencher having done his apprenticeship with factory and dealer trained VW mechanics.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 am

Those rebuilds are built to warranty, nothing more. You'd be surpised at the marginal stuff they reuse.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 am

Those rebuilds are built to warranty, nothing more. You'd be surprised at the marginal stuff they reuse.

That's kind of my conundrum, I know I should try and build my own engine but I just don't have the time right now to take on the project. Kids getting ready to go back to school, baseball practice twice a week, on call at work starting on the 13th for a month. It just isn't gonna happen.

Now the best plan I can come up with is buying a rebuilt get it installed and this will only take me a day or so. Take the best care of it I possibly can and start buying parts to build myself a brand new engine within a year or so. That way I can take my time and do it right. With the best parts and the best advice from the awesomeness on this forum.

I have to get him up and running quickly as we are now down to one car for a two working parent family and where I live public transit is not an option.
get to know Mike Crist at Discount Import
I'm in there quite a bit and have talked to him a bunch. I joke with them about going public so I can buy stock in the business. I've spent a bit of money there and I'd like a bit of kickback. :geek:
They are actually the one's who sent me to D&M in the first place when I was looking for carb screws.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:33 pm

rmannon wrote:That's kind of my conundrum, I know I should try and build my own engine but I just don't have the time right now to take on the project.
. . . rm, I really do sympathise with the conundrum :pale: so, ask yourself, "If I don't have the time (and money?) to do it right the first time, how will I ever have the time and money to fix it later?"

Good luck!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am

If I don't have the time (and money?) to do it right the first time, how will I ever have the time and money to fix it later?
I may have just found another option. Luckily I worked all night tonight and will be off all day tomorrow to see if this is actually possible.

I'll be in touch.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:14 am

I was able to find an engine down in Newberg over the weekend. It's not new but it seems to be in decent condition. I spent the weekend cleaning it up and getting it ready to install. I pulled it out of a 1970 so it was almost exactly like my 1971. I did change the intake manifold so I had the brake booster port off of my old engine. I have the motor installed and I need to just make a few adjustments. I gave it the initial tune up, oil, valves, plugs, plug wires, pertronix out of my other dizzy. He fired right up but doesn't like to idle. I think the Idle shut off valve in the carb is shot. Luckily I have a replacement from the other engine. I'll drop it in tonight and adjust the carb and make sure he is timed correctly. Cannot wait to take him for a decent test run.

Now I have an engine to start taking apart and rebuilding as well! I'm kind of excited about that part. I just have to wait a month or so to start.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 pm

rmannon wrote:I was able to find an engine down in Newberg over the weekend. It's not new but it seems to be in decent condition. I spent the weekend cleaning it up and getting it ready to install. I pulled it out of a 1970 so it was almost exactly like my 1971. I did change the intake manifold so I had the brake booster port off of my old engine. I have the motor installed and I need to just make a few adjustments. I gave it the initial tune up, oil, valves, plugs, plug wires, pertronix out of my other dizzy. He fired right up but doesn't like to idle. I think the Idle shut off valve in the carb is shot. Luckily I have a replacement from the other engine. I'll drop it in tonight and adjust the carb and make sure he is timed correctly. Cannot wait to take him for a decent test run.

Now I have an engine to start taking apart and rebuilding as well! I'm kind of excited about that part. I just have to wait a month or so to start.
So you found a spare for sale? I never get that lucky.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 am

I never get that lucky.
I don't feel lucky today. I did my little bit of adjustment last night and he fired right up. He didn't idle. I think i have a vacuum leak at the break booster hose. He didn't have any gas so I just hopped in and took him down the hill to get some gas. Like I said he wont idle so he just died when I pulled up to the pump. After getting gas he would not start. The gas station sits on a bit of a hill so I just let the brake off and began to roll down turned on the ignition and put him in third. Nothing.... I've done a little bit of trouble shooting on him. I have spark at the coil and plugs but he wont fire. He seems to be getting gas down the carb so I don't think that is the problem. I plugged the break booster tube off of the manifold hoping that it was just a huge vacuum leak that was the problem. Still nothing. I'm starting to think maybe I have a bigger electrical issue.

<rant> Sheesh it seems to be never ending now! </rant>

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 am

Distributor? Timing? Go thru all the systems methodically. Neck bone isa connected to the...leg bone.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am

Okay maybe a little bit of luck. I went down to the bus with my jumper cables. Connected them and he fired right up. But he had a bad clank clank sound coming from the driver side. I babied him home about an hour ago. I just readjusted the valves last night and I bet I screwed something up. Pulled the cover and an adjustment screw on the rocker arm was almost completely out! I must have forgotten to tighten down the nut. Doh! I'm gonna let him cool down and then I'll readjust again. Slowly this time very slowly. His Idle issue is now gone since I disconnected and plugged the brake booster port. Deep breath, things are looking up.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 am

Yikes that head may have to come off...hopefully nothing broke in there, keep your fingers crossed.