1971 Bus . . . Engine Issues

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Something is wrong inside the motor. I have a loud tick tick tick. Here is a link to a quick video I took with the motor running. Any Ideas? Stuck lifter? I'm kinda afraid to drive him. I don't want to make it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NKnPvymVPw

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

rmannon wrote:Something is wrong inside the motor. I have a loud tick tick tick. Here is a link to a quick video I took with the motor running. Any Ideas? Stuck lifter? I'm kinda afraid to drive him. I don't want to make it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NKnPvymVPw
With an unknown engine such as the one you just put in, you may need to take it apart in order to *know* what you have. Otherwise we are all speculating. The sound does suggest further investigation.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm

rmannon wrote:I was able to find an engine down in Newberg over the weekend. It's not new but it seems to be in decent condition.
Did you have to pay money for it?
Colin

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Did you have to pay money for it?
Yes but not a lot. I'm gonna leave him alone for the weekend and think about what I would like to do.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:11 am

Alright I cannot stop thinking about this. I think I have a pounded exhaust valve on cylinder 3. I did lot's and lot's of research last night. I'm almost to the point of saying I have had enough but I really do enjoy driving him when he runs right. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the time to do a valve job/head swap and see if it fixes it.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:41 am

rmannon wrote:Alright I cannot stop thinking about this. I think I have a pounded exhaust valve on cylinder 3. I did lot's and lot's of research last night. I'm almost to the point of saying I have had enough but I really do enjoy driving him when he runs right. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the time to do a valve job/head swap and see if it fixes it.
I would be tearing them up if I had the space to do so. Don't despair! Have resolve and jump in it!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:18 pm

I do have a few free hours tomorrow morning and I'm gonna try something somewhat risky. I read about old vs. new fuels and I remember when I was a teenager my old bug had to have a lead additive added to every tank of gas. Then new harder parts were made that didn't need the "lubrication" from the lead (yay science). I am wondering if maybe just maybe this motor has old, really old parts in it. I have another set of heads I can try. It wont take me but a few hours to pull the motor pull the heads and replace.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

If you're going in that far, might as well yoink a cylinder or four and peek inside the case with a flashlight? As long as you have a VW type ring compressor to put them back on, that is. Oh and maybe the under cylinder gaskets.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Hippie wrote:If you're going in that far, might as well yoink a cylinder or four and peek inside the case with a flashlight?
A seasoned engine guy might know what to look for, but I do not recommend that we send a neophyte into the exposed pistons, rings, etc.

rmannon, now is an excellent time to cajole someone with experience to come out and have a listen before you get all into it. Portland has many people with experience.
Colin

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 pm

but I do not recommend that we send a neophyte into the exposed pistons, rings, etc.
Ah spoken like a true master. I know I am not ready for that. I'm a quick study but not that quick.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 am

I pulled the motor this weekend and looked at the heads. Quite nice for the sounds that are coming out of him. I didn't see any cracks or valve seals that looked messed up. Reassembled and he still has the same sound. Who do you guys recommend as a really good VW mechanic in Portland? A week in the shop is better than 3 weeks on my back. :)

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:38 pm

I just wanted to give a quick update as to where I'm at on my bus. One of my good friends who builds bikes for a living hooked me up with a VW mechanic out in Tualatin. I took my motor to him this afternoon and he will have it broke down by Tuesday of next week. The great thing is that he is going to help me with the rebuild in his shop. I let him know that I want to balance the engine and I want it to run as if it was new. A big smile came to his face and he told me he loves these projects. He also told me I could bring in all my tins and degrease, blast, and paint them at his shop. My motor is gonna be SWEET! I am very excited to get this underway!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:23 pm

rmannon wrote:I just wanted to give a quick update as to where I'm at on my bus. One of my good friends who builds bikes for a living hooked me up with a VW mechanic out in Tualatin. I took my motor to him this afternoon and he will have it broke down by Tuesday of next week. The great thing is that he is going to help me with the rebuild in his shop. I let him know that I want to balance the engine and I want it to run as if it was new. A big smile came to his face and he told me he loves these projects. He also told me I could bring in all my tins and degrease, blast, and paint them at his shop. My motor is gonna be SWEET! I am very excited to get this underway!
Sounds like a happy outcome, but let me chastise you most severely for not taking the advice proferred here just up the thread, to NOT waste your time tearing it down and "looking at the pretty good heads" and putting it together again to discover that the noise is still there.

Now, I do roll with the decisions people make, and I am sure it was good learning for you to do it (it might have even felt like a triumph to get it back together again well enough to discover that the noise was still there).

But for general readers in the Technical Forums, I would like to remind them that if they do want to get down to it efficiently, try following the suggestions here. Many of us have re-invented the wheel at considerable aggravation and expense, we can save you from these mostly not helpful aggravations.
Colin