oil smell on deceleration

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

oil smell on deceleration

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Last weekend we were going to take a short trip which included about 50 miles of interstate driving, half of that uphill. Before setting off I checked the oil and it was a low--not terribly low, but low so I put some in. It was a decently hot day, high 80s maybe.

During the trip I noticed that upon deceleration from highway speeds (~70mph), like when exiting the freeway, there was a distinct oil smell. And it wasn't so much a burning smell (though there was a little of that too), but like the smell of fresh oil. This happened on every deceleration from high speed. The car ran fine. It is a 1971 Type III with intact fuel injection.

Thoughts?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:36 pm

hmmmm . . . the oil you had to add before taking off, is that because the motor is burning oil or leaking oil? If leaking, then it's probably getting onto a hot surface that really heats up with the lower airflow on decel - if burning, then maybe some pinholes in the heater boxes, also during the decreased airflow of decel are sending the fumes towards the front of the car and your nose! . . . jus' my 2 non-cents!

PS; nice plug for G-Eye's bus on your blog!! =D>
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:31 pm

It has some chronic leaks and low (~100lbs) compression on #1. I figured that was my oil consumption. It's maybe 1/2 qt per 400 miles? But that's a guess.
The oil smell was definitely the smell of fresh oil.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 am

Where is your oil level at now? Find any new leaks? Can you smell it standing behind the car at idle or decel? Oil cap on tight? Breather hose still connected?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 am

So the wife took Gertrude over the humpto P'burg yesterday. She says when she got back in there was a sizable ("as big as a large slice of pizza"--women: you gotta love 'em) oil spot under the passenger side, and that she could see it dripping. Not running, but dripping. I thought this was the end so I told her to dump the rest of the on-hand oil in it, about 1/4 quart and just drive back home. She did, and reported no problems on the return. There was a dime-sized drop where she parked it at home, and no new drops at all overnight. I checked the oil and now of course it's a little overfull. I'm going to change the oil anyway this weekend, but there you are.

Connections, caps, etc. are all on tight.

Is there a condition that would cause an oil leak to leak worse when the engine is nice and warm, and hardly or not at all other times?

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 am

Where exactly under the passenger side? Valve cover?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 am

Check that the air cleaner oil level is correct and that the air cleaner is secure at the center wingnut, if ity is oily underneath, clean clean clean.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Is there a condition that would cause an oil leak to leak worse when the engine is nice and warm, and hardly or not at all other times?
I would guess that as the oil thins out at higher temperatures, there are more places for the thinned out oil to escape. Does that make sense?
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 pm

fancy pants wrote:I would guess that as the oil thins out at higher temperatures, there are more places for the thinned out oil to escape. Does that make sense?
That was my speculation as well. A thin criminal is going to be able to squeeze out of more jail cells than a fat one.

Also, I'm embarrassed to say, I'm still running Winter (viz., thin) oil.