PSA re Engine Bearings

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Like my made in Germany Boge shocks, look just the same as the Mexican ones, who knows how they hold up. Parts is parts, we seem to be told. Maybe someday.

Thanks for the post.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Another gold nugget from ACR - Just sad to hear it has come to this and yet another buyer beware that us ham n' egger engine builders have to watch out for.

German Kolbenschmidt packaging and Mahle Brazil contents - HORRIBLE!!! Is there nothing sacred anymore???

Anyone here bought German Kolbenschmidt bearings lately without looking at the markings on the actual bearings? If it was packed in the pretty un-dog eared fresh packaging - chances are you paid a lot more because you were looking for OG bearings - Also, chances are you just got fleeced.

Fancypants, your bearings were in the Nasty Old Shiz packaging, so I think you actually got what you were under the impression you were purchasing.

But who am I to say, my correctly packaged truthfully labeled brazilian mahle oversize bearings with oversize thrust were $120 and $9 for shipping. These are the holy grail of bearings apparently and I spent so much time trying to track them down. $129.00 - this is no doubt the Supply and Demand phenomenon AC Ranch is talking about. The machinist couldn't even locate them for me and sent me on my own to track them down.

Thanks Jim for this - truly a PSA for us all.
-'72 Westy-

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 am

VW parts are really a game of chance these days. I've seen good quality Brazil Mahle and terrible quality OE German. Some things you can't even get at all.
With the fluctuating nature of quality and availability this must be a game played new at every new project. You just never know.
I've had a vendor sell me "German" that failed within 5k miles but they blamed it on "infill supply" whell that's just grate Johnny but I paid for German for a reason.

I was researching chainsaws lately. Poulan Pro, made in China. A crap shoot according to reviews; some work for years others fail within hours "scorched cylinders" oh yeah. LOTS of "factory reconditioned" too. A nickel beer isn't enuff for our slothy land. A penny beer and a BJ thank you oh did I mention you might lose yer tool? Wrench of course. :blackeye:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:57 pm

there are no made in germany type 4 bearings any longer unless they are old stock. all the type 4 KS bearings are made in south america now. not all are mahle but i have seen this also.

we usually have a limited supply of german type 4 main bearings. i hunt them down and buy whatever i can find.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source