'74 bus exhaust broken flanges

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

'74 bus exhaust broken flanges

Post by whc03grady » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:59 am

New heater boxes are expen$$$ive, and who knows if a used one leaks? What do we think of welding broken flanges back on? I've got one flange broken off on each side. There was soot around the cracks (naturally).

Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: '74 bus exhaust broken flanges

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:30 pm

whc03grady wrote:New heater boxes are expen$$$ive, and who knows if a used one leaks? What do we think of welding broken flanges back on? I've got one flange broken off on each side. There was soot around the cracks (naturally).
I am keeping my old HE's with the belief with some welding down the road, they can be re-used.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '74 bus exhaust broken flanges

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 am

whc03grady wrote:New heater boxes are expen$$$ive, and who knows if a used one leaks? What do we think of welding broken flanges back on? I've got one flange broken off on each side. There was soot around the cracks (naturally).
The extreme temperatures up there make the metal brittle. A good welder may be able to help, but the alignment of the flange is critical to ever hoping to get them onto the head studs. The tops of the flanges will need to be milled with a big bastard file or something so they are exactly flat with each other.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I will let you folks know when i do one of mine. Ive found it is quite easy to see how the flange goes on being oval as opposed to round , and the 'break' falls in place like a puzzle. The pipe seems to have slid out of the flange not really broken off
-steve - 73 bus

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Tue May 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Well, i had my dad weld mine back togeather and it went well. looks like a a good bead around the whole flange/pipe connection. Give it a shot.
-steve - 73 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 pm

thenexttownshend wrote:Well, i had my dad weld mine back togeather and it went well. looks like a a good bead around the whole flange/pipe connection. Give it a shot.
Have you installed this repair? Did ya mill the bastard with the bastard ya bastid? Does it not leak?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Wed May 05, 2010 7:17 pm

i have not installed it yet, why would i spoil the fun on sunday? i used a bench grinder with a wire wheel to make it clean and shiny befor welding.

Speaking of shiny you should see the glorious front beam i got from ken madison at the bus company. All clean and freshly painted now. completly bare but glorious none the less.

we will have the beam, on the bus and the complete one i rejected to take parts from to make one good beam from.

Ive got some high temp rtv that im very impressed with on my motorcycle exhaust, i think alittle where the flange meets the engine and between the heat exchangers and the exhaust will work/sound excellent :pirate:
-steve - 73 bus