Another Engine Build Thread.............

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Hiya spiff,
spiffy wrote:Parkerized lifters (SLR is what is referred to as well) are easy to find, about $90 for a set.
Cool! But if the lifters are hardened by Parkerizing don't the lobes on the cam also have to be hardened?
If you go with a head that has anything "special" you should go to a dual carb setup, otherwise it would be a waste of money. If you have the time and resources why not try the engine with the single carb and then switch it out to a dual carb setup?
It's an idea.

Thanks spiff!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 am

Bookwus wrote: if the lifters are hardened by Parkerizing don't the lobes on the cam also have to be hardened?
Good point. With Type 1 engines, you need to have a good discussion with cam supplier and lifter supplier, because there is no second chance.

With Type 4 engines, you can at least opt for a softer lifter and change them out as necessary. I went through three partial replacements of lifters on the same camshaft. Easy as heck to do.
Colin

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 am

Hiya CK,
Amskeptic wrote:...... you need to have a good discussion with cam supplier and lifter supplier.......
Yessir.

I'll do it.

Immediately, if not sooner.

Consider it done.

On my way.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Yes, ask for the hardened cam blank and have them grind it. Most places you MUST ask for this as they are fully aware of it but will play dumb.

I think the scat hardened cam blanks have an "SP2" on them or something like that. I rolled the dice and went with scat "SLR'd" lifters and a "SP2" (wish I could remember what it is) cam blank the webcam ground fresh and sent out. I STILL have doubts about pitting on the lifters that I have, I have made it past the point of early lifter/cam failure issues (as far as I know).

This problem is a serious one with the type 1's right now and the only thing I would have done differently would be to go for the tool steel lifters. You can read yourself blue in the face on the topic and one usually ends up with enough of a question in their mind that you will be fearful for the first 6k miles.

And then you crack the case and find they are pitted anyways...the premium parts that were/are as good as the originals demand premium prices. That is our reality.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Hiya spiff,
spiffy wrote:......You can read yourself blue in the face on the topic and one usually ends up with enough of a question in their mind that you will be fearful for the first 6k miles........
Yeah, a lotta of conflicting opinions out there. That's why I wanted to ask about some of these components on the forum. I wanted some opinions about these parts from folks who had been down this path (or one just like it!)

Which brings me around to a new (for me) development. I was at Hall's discussing this with Julie and she offered up another alternative. She said that her shop could regrind my stock cam to a 110 (I didn't know that was even possible), regrind the lifter faces, and then send the parts out to be Parkerized. I'm thinking that option is attractive in that I'd be starting out with OE German parts and still winding up with hardened faces.

Thoughts?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:33 pm

It sounds good in theory, my only question would be the quality of the machinist that does all the work.

The route you mentioned I guess COULD be less of a risk as long as you start with very good "cores" and the machinist is qualified to work at NASA.

However, what is the price to take the used parts, regrind them and harden them? I would be interested to see what the difference in cost would be between that and $500, which is what a new cam and tool steel lifters would cost.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Hiya spiff,

Although I have experienced the quality of work at Hall's to be very good, I haven't seen anybody in spacesuits over there.

My cores are German and look to be in pretty good shape. I'll check out the prices and see which way the wind is blowing at the launch pad.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 pm

(TECHNICALLY, it IS Parker)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Cool, I would be interested to hear how things turn out. Options are options.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"