Taco Plate Gasket

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Taco Plate Gasket

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:45 am

This should probably be in the "Stupid Questions" thread, but the doo-dad on the bottom of my Type 4 engine that we've all come to know as the "taco plate" is leaking oil.

What is the "taco plate" actually called, what does it do, and (most importantly) does anyone know where I can get a replacement gasket?

According to Bentley, they call it the 'oil pan' which is less than descriptive and is easily confused with the oil strainer cover which is the only gasket I can find from my usual stable of online parts vendors.

Any help is much appreciated.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:34 pm

I think it's official name is the "Inspection Plate". Not sure what can be inspected by removing it, though!

Here's a link to the German Supply replacement o-ring.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... at=&page=1
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:20 pm

as far as I know the only good you get from having this as a removable bit is so you can drill it out for a oil temp sender.

or better yet, get someone to fab up one from aluminum with a threaded hole for the sender built into it:
1979 California Transporter

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:46 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Here's a link to the German Supply replacement o-ring.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... at=&page=1
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
airkooledchris wrote:Image
That looks great, but wouldn't the fins on that fancy al-you-mineum plate reduce the temperature you were trying to measure?
- Dick

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm

dtrumbo wrote: That looks great, but wouldn't the fins on that fancy al-you-mineum plate reduce the temperature you were trying to measure?
that was a thought someone else had initially, but the guy that made them up said he was taking temps via the classic VDO and 914 taco plate before switching to this one and didn't notice any changes in max temp under loads.

I wasn't running an oil temp prior to picking one of those up so I couldn't compare it myself, but from how it's made it doesn't seem like the fins would make much of a difference. I use it more for it's trending than to actually get a spot on reading. if my temps start to spike up drastically, ill pull over regardless of what the # is (and I know there's no good reason it should be spiking)
1979 California Transporter

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:00 pm

airkooledchris wrote:I use it more for it's trending than to actually get a spot on reading. if my temps start to spike up drastically, ill pull over regardless of what the # is (and I know there's no good reason it should be spiking)
I suppose that's exactly what you should do with any of these temperature (oil, CHT, etc.) gauges.
- Dick

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Accept no substitutes. I tried and tried with a black seal purchased elsewhere. Nothing like changing your oil four times over a couple of days due to a leaking gasket....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Already ordered. Scott's listing says it's Genuine VW which can't hurt. Thanks everyone!
- Dick

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Where exactly did you get this?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:45 pm

Is that from Phil on TS?

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Taco Plate Gasket

Post by satchmo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:20 am

dtrumbo wrote:This should probably be in the "Stupid Questions" thread, but the doo-dad on the bottom of my Type 4 engine that we've all come to know as the "taco plate" is leaking oil.

What is the "taco plate" actually called, what does it do, and (most importantly) does anyone know where I can get a replacement gasket?

According to Bentley, they call it the 'oil pan' which is less than descriptive and is easily confused with the oil strainer cover which is the only gasket I can find from my usual stable of online parts vendors.

Any help is much appreciated.
It is called the inspection plate in most places. In Porsche engines I guess they had a slightly different plate that housed an oil temp sender. Otherwise, the plate doesn't serve any purpose on bus engines except to plug a big hole in the bottom of the case.

The sealing o-ring usually comes in a rebuild gasket set. Not many folks sell just the o-ring. I did find it at German Supply, however:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 297&page=2

Good luck, Tim

Nevermind.....I guess you got all this info already
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:26 am

A lot of 411's and 914's came with a oil temp gauge and they used this taco plate to get the sender up into the hot oil in the oil sump. Remember the type 4 engine was designed for the 411/412 models originally...then squeezed into the 914 and finally in Bay.

Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/