Cylinder Heads -> Lower End -> JCS POS

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

sped372 wrote:Case split. Here are some more photos
Do you have pitting at the main bearing saddle mating surfaces? Discoloration? Some of the photographs, I don't know if it is the light, but look at where the main bearing studs go through the case, the mating flanges should be smooth and sort of shiny, not dulled out gray with little craters. Main bearing dowel is loose in the case? Not good.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:19 am

Amskeptic wrote:
sped372 wrote:Case split. Here are some more photos
Do you have pitting at the main bearing saddle mating surfaces? Discoloration? Some of the photographs, I don't know if it is the light, but look at where the main bearing studs go through the case, the mating flanges should be smooth and sort of shiny, not dulled out gray with little craters. Main bearing dowel is loose in the case? Not good.
Colin
Will check this when I get home tonight. Also forgot to post a pic of a funky spot on one cam lobe... is this ok?

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 am

sped372 wrote: a funky spot on one cam lobe... is this ok?
No. It begs too many questions. How did it occur? Hardening treatment failure? Mechanical debris strike? Lifter failure at some earlier point? The loads on the lip of a cam lobe are so extreme that you want every bit the surface area available to support the lifter face. That looks to be a good 10% + missing at that point of contact.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:
No. It begs too many questions. How did it occur? Hardening treatment failure? Mechanical debris strike? Lifter failure at some earlier point? The loads on the lip of a cam lobe are so extreme that you want every bit the surface area available to support the lifter face. That looks to be a good 10% + missing at that point of contact.
Colin
Thats what I figured; thanks for the confirmation. I tend to be overly cautious but I suppose it's better that way. I plan on replacing the oil cooler instead of swapping the one from this engine over. Don't think the minimal $ is worth the risk that some debris got in there.

One other suspicion - how can I tell if my case halves were mis-matched? There is a set of numbers within a circle "behind the flywheel" on each half of mine that are different. Got me to wondering.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 am

The circles I'm referring to are here, towards the top.

1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Thats what I figured; thanks for the confirmation. I tend to be overly cautious but I suppose it's better that way. I plan on replacing the oil cooler instead of swapping the one from this engine over. Don't think the minimal $ is worth the risk that some debris got in there.

One other suspicion - how can I tell if my case halves were mis-matched? There is a set of numbers within a circle "behind the flywheel" on each half of mine that are different. Got me to wondering.
If the numbers are cast, not so critical. If the numbers are stamped, what a bunch of incompetent boneheads. (the case-match stamped numbers are on the engine compartment side of the case)
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:(the case-match stamped numbers are on the engine compartment side of the case)
Colin
On the rear (front is front) or the top? The one's I was referring to are cast but hey I'm not putting anything past them.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:(the case-match stamped numbers are on the engine compartment side of the case)
Colin
On the rear (front is front) or the top? The one's I was referring to are cast but hey I'm not putting anything past them.
Engine compartment side
Top of case at the front of the engine right underneath the front tin on either side of seam, three digits stamped