Moved Topics

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 am

hambone wrote:
The truth is, CK, that if we need the knowledge we will dig.
What the hell does this mean? Are you in the ether again?
Hope I didn't break anything upstairs with my typo, Hammy.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:49 pm

zblair wrote: Colin, this thread is an example of what you are complaining about. It is in a forum titled: Technical Forums -> Engine, yet you are asking for a solution that is not fully technical in a sub-category meant to be. Can you see that it isn't as cut and dried as you might think?
I PUT IT HERE to catch the attention of those who need to edit their irrelevancies.
This thread is NOT an example of what I am complaining about because it seeks to engage and guide members here.
If I am asking people for their input, does that sound like I am in some cut-and-dried state of absolution? What exactly is your contribution here?
zblair wrote: The way that this has been handled on other boards that I have been on has been to:
1. Have "more forum board choices" for a larger choice of topic to post about
2. Have more moderation on threads
I choose to handle it by calling forth members' adult skills to edit themselves. I do NOT want to be a moderating presence here any more than necessary, and so far, we have done quite well.
zblair wrote: 3. Stop concerning yourself so much with thread drift; it is going to happen
I choose to concern myself here in the Technical Forums. This is where we get to throw technical ideas and solutions and problems around. The wide-ranging chat is allowed and encouraged elsewhere. Why are you telling me to stop concerning myself with things that concern me? Perhaps you might want to not concern yourself with how I choose to concern myself
zblair wrote: Having more forum board topics to select from, the thread drift became much less. Familiarity with one another cut down some of the thread drift also. You could/can tell when a specific focus was being asked and most followed suit.
There is NO NEED for more forums here. This place is idiot simple and it shall remain that way. If anybody is reading a good thread like Oregon72's rebuild questions (very good couple of pages) and they just have to go blather on about their experiences in some similar predicament three years ago, they are invited to go over to the Type 1,2,3,4 , or General (or Free Speech if there is lot of swearing) forums and tell their stories. We will all catch up over there. No problem.
zblair wrote: As a group who has been together now close to 7 years, we have had the chance to get to know one another and we don't worry or care about thread drift. *shrugs*
Well thanx for not worrying or caring about it here in the Technical Forums where I do. I do not think you can safely speak for all of us here.

I posted back in the summer that I was going to ask some members here to help me clean up the Technical Forums to assist (that is what we are here for!) others find the information they need, and I suggested that it might occur in November, and I pointed out for people not to take it personally.
zblair wrote: Bottom line, folks come to this site online because of the community and also because they are seeking advice and assistance. Thread drift is going to happen, so how you choose to manage that is key.
People come here for advice and assistance? I just had no idea.

I choose to manage it by asking people to utilize their god-given intelligence and discretion to post appropriately. Then I will see if the people who actually contribute to the technical forums accept the whys and wherefores.
zblair wrote: IF you say that you want an environment where folks are adults and are therefore capable of managing their own content and post what is on their minds, then please don't take issue inconsistently with the type and kind of moderation that is performed. You may not agree with that statement, but that IS my perception.
Why NOT "take issue inconsistently with the type and kind of moderation that is performed", I am the inconsistently performing moderator! This is a group effort and I shall seek assistance to clean up the Technical Forums as stated several times, and I do not know what your issue is with my issues regarding irrelevancy in the Technical Forums. What law is there that I must be consistent? I am ASKING people to control their blabble, sometimes I have to tell myself to control my own blabble in the Technical Forums, and sometimes I have to get on the ball and edit. Who said that I had to be consistent about it?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I said it years ago and it was shot down then and probably will be now.

It would be nice to blog about our restoration or engine build. We could then choose to include helpful advice for others. This would give a nice linear narrative for others to follow.

The truth is, CK, that if we need the knowledge we will did. I take the continental bed thread over on TS. Started out wonderful and devolved into chaos. I think it is just your nature to be perturbed by the clutter. Others of us, function just fine among the chaos. Viva la anarchy!
An insightful . . . insight, Sir Chitwnvw, I get perturbed by clutter.

So let's all compromise a little. I give you, "enjoy yourself in the community forums" and in return, I expect relevancy in the contributions in the Technical Forums. You give me " okokOK, I will keep the idle bullshit out of the engine rebuild panic threads", and you can expect that I will not have to delete "irrelevant" posts (unless they violate terms).

And so far, I have been blessedly free of moderating nonsense.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:An insightful . . . insight, Sir Chitwnvw, I get perturbed by clutter.

So let's all compromise a little. I give you, "enjoy yourself in the community forums" and in return, I expect relevancy in the contributions in the Technical Forums.
Colin
That's fair. I try to remember where I'm at but I know I drift. I'm not offended by editing/moves like this because they are fair and for a reason. I am a guest here and I try to remember that.
2 cents.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Hippie wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:An insightful . . . insight, Sir Chitwnvw, I get perturbed by clutter.

So let's all compromise a little. I give you, "enjoy yourself in the community forums" and in return, I expect relevancy in the contributions in the Technical Forums.
Colin
That's fair. I try to remember where I'm at but I know I drift. I'm not offended by editing/moves like this because they are fair and for a reason. I am a guest here and I try to remember that.
2 cents.
I agree. It's not like whole threads are being deleted or Oil Filter comparisons are being deemed Off Topic. Just trimmin' the fat.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Sluggo wrote:
Hippie wrote:

Colin
2 cents.
I agree. It's not like whole threads are being deleted or Oil Filter comparisons are being deemed Off Topic. Just trimmin' the fat.
Did you really have to bring up oil filters? :pirate:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 am

LiveonJG wrote: Did you really have to bring up oil filters? :pirate:
I couldn't help it. I like shooting down marketing hype. :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:44 am

Hippie wrote:That's fair. I try to remember where I'm at but I know I drift. I'm not offended by editing/moves like this because they are fair and for a reason.
SEE? SEE? That is all I was saying.

But the question at the end of my first post in this thread is still a question.

A nutritious thread about Oregon72's engine rebuild, which had lots of good technical information being shared, became a Twinkie gab-fest.
I moved it to Type 2 for the Twinkie bingers, but I miss the thread's presence in the Engine Forum.

Would you, Sluggo if you're reading this, be willing to see if you can split the topic and bring back the posts that were germaine to the Engine Forum? I will leave it to your sole discretion as to which posts you choose. Then we all of us can see if there is enough of an intact narrative that it makes sense. You game?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 am

Amskeptic wrote: Sluggo. You game?
Colin
. . . apparently not . . .

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Sluggo. You game?
Colin
. . . apparently not . . .
I'll do it. Just been being frustrated all weekend. Fuel pump flowing in reverse.
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 547#131547

I'll take a look on Wednesday. Shouldn't be a problem.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 am

A nutritious thread about Oregon72's engine rebuild, which had lots of good technical information being shared, became a Twinkie gab-fest.
The same thing happened in my build thread. However, it does capture what happened in that moment in time. As social creatures it's hard to keep sterile some times. Besides who wants to color in the lines? Everybody at some time likes to challenge authority! Even poor Colin.
At least it comes out of fun and community and not silly one upmanship.
FWIW I try hard to comply and keep the chit chat out of Tech. But some times it slips!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:58 am

hambone wrote:
The same thing happened in my build thread. However, it does capture what happened in that moment in time. As social creatures it's hard to keep sterile some times. Besides who wants to color in the lines? Everybody at some time likes to challenge authority! Even poor Colin.
At least it comes out of fun and community and not silly one upmanship.
FWIW I try hard to comply and keep the chit chat out of Tech. But some times it slips!
I'd like to come up with a method that maintains the narrative, yet allows the resource of these technical issues to remain searchable and intact. If we can safely split threads without making them unreadably swiss cheesed, well, we can try that.

I am not going to buy into this "color inside the lines" "sterile""challenge authority" lazy crap HERE in the technical forums. Because we have many opportunities to converse in a community fashion all over this site, no lazy qualifiers here in the technical forums. This is the place you get to exercise your formidable editing skills . . . :blackeye:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Would you, Sluggo if you're reading this, be willing to see if you can split the topic and bring back the posts that were germaine to the Engine Forum? I will leave it to your sole discretion as to which posts you choose. Then we all of us can see if there is enough of an intact narrative that it makes sense. You game?
Colin
Tried it and it wouldn't make real sense anymore unless I went in and really edited most of the individual posts. Loses it's flow completely. If I do it in a way that others can see that would mean the two new threads are saved and the original is lost.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Sluggo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Would you, Sluggo if you're reading this, be willing to see if you can split the topic and bring back the posts that were germaine to the Engine Forum? I will leave it to your sole discretion as to which posts you choose. Then we all of us can see if there is enough of an intact narrative that it makes sense. You game?
Colin
Tried it and it wouldn't make real sense anymore unless I went in and really edited most of the individual posts. Loses it's flow completely. If I do it in a way that others can see that would mean the two new threads are saved and the original is lost.
Pretty tricky huh?

Hmmmmmm. Shall we, then, flog the herd and demand that they save the beauty of an unfolding Technical Forum post or debacle or question or predicament, by not babbling nonsensically about other things that strike their fancy, and shall they not even be warned that I will happily exterminate such posts in an instant, before the whole topic becomes unsalvagable as you have you discovered?
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:02 am

Amskeptic wrote:Shall we, then, flog the herd and demand that they save the beauty of an unfolding Technical Forum post or debacle or question or predicament, by not babbling nonsensically about other things that strike their fancy, and shall they not even be warned that I will happily exterminate such posts in an instant, before the whole topic becomes unsalvagable as you have you discovered?
Colin
Aye.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!