No end play even wo/ shims!?!? Prob found!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

No end play even wo/ shims!?!? Prob found!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm building a 1600 and the crank moves fine with no flywheel. Spins freely and moves back and forth about 1/8 inch. But add a flywheel even with no shims and I got no end play....What's up? What could be the cause and more importantly the cure....thanks

In my gasket set I found a metal shim and a paper gasket that fit over the dowels, added these, thinking more space would give me some play, but sill none....

Assembled with shims you'd think it would get hard to turn, but it doesn't, it just doesn't have any end play...

I'm baffled.

The oil seal was not driven into the case enough.....wo any shims I have .035 play now....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: No end play even wo/ shims!?!?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:I'm building a 1600 and the crank moves fine with no flywheel. Spins freely and moves back and forth about 1/8 inch. But add a flywheel even with no shims and I got no end play....What's up? What could be the cause and more importantly the cure....thanks

In my gasket set I found a metal shim and a paper gasket that fit over the dowels, added these, thinking more space would give me some play, but sill none....

Assembled with shims you'd think it would get hard to turn, but it doesn't, it just doesn't have any end play...

I'm baffled.
Not hard to turn is a difficult judgment call. It should be free to turn minus only oil friction. When you said that there was no endplay at all with no shims whatsoever AND you could still turn the crankshaft with shims, well . . . you got me baffled. No seal in there right? And, as important, no distributor drive? No problem with camshaft mesh?
ColinKeepUsUpdatedOnThisOne
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Yes the spacer is behind the pulley. And like I stated previously the crank moves fine in all directions *has plenty of end play way too much* w/o the flywheel....Add the flywheel with or without shims and no end play.....It's an original OG flywheel from a super beetle.

Yes the rear oil seal is installed. and the dist drive...Could the oil seal be causing this? It's installed flush w/ the case should it be in farther?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:21 pm

The oil seal was not in far enough.....
Take care,
Rick

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:26 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:The oil seal was not in far enough.....
The oil seal can be installed in a bunch of different spots to miss the groove etched into the flywheel. The important thing here is:
*You Cannot Reliably Determine Endplay With Seal Installed*

Colin :flower:

(* but you can determine excessive endplay with seal installed, just not the good .0025" to .0035" endplay of a fresh rebuild*)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:29 pm

I've got 4 thou and I'm goin with it!
Take care,
Rick