Vanagon Head Retorquing

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Vanagon Head Retorquing

Post by Gypsie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

Anyone do this with the engine in place?

Suggestions, tips, and points to ponder

I want to retorque the heads but know that If I start on it and it doesn't work I will pull the engine and I want to come tho the table prepared to avoid if at all possible.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vanagon Head Retorquing

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 am

Gypsie wrote:Anyone do this with the engine in place?

Suggestions, tips, and points to ponder

I want to retorque the heads but know that If I start on it and it doesn't work I will pull the engine and I want to come tho the table prepared to avoid if at all possible.
I start with torquing the lower head nuts accessible after removing the rockers for the cylinder blocking the particular nuts. If the lower nuts are all above 20, I do not worry about the uppers. If one is less than 18, I still refuse to worry. If they are all below 20-23 and there are a couple of really low ones (less than 17)< I pull the upper cylinder covers up a bit and get torque wrench extension snuck under the sides. This does require removing FI runners. Start with the middle nuts and cross out to outside nuts, i.e. if the nuts are numbered from 1-4 as you look, you must either do 3 to 1 or 2 to 4 as you torque to the outside. Do not loosen if they are at 23 figure. If they are less than 23, then back off a 1/4 turn so you can reach torque figure while in motion.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:32 pm

How do I confirm their current torque value?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:27 pm

set your torque at the desired pressure and apply. if the wrench breaks, you are at that torque already.

So you could go to 23 and if the head nut turns, then you are less than 23. IF you have to turn a lot, then you are really far away from 23.

make sense?

-d
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:47 pm

I was amazed at how many nuts needed re-torque on Bill's engine. So much so that I have vowed to go in after a few thousand miles on any new engine to check.

With that huge hatch of yours, widdle the engine down to almost the long block and retorque.

Or not. It is entirely possible that you will find that none of them "moved"....but then again......what if?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"