low idle

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

low idle

Post by hercdriver » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 am

Not a hard problem for the initiated. However if you're knuckles drag on the ground while you walk, it is a daunting problem. Outside of having sore knuckles, I'm also trying to figure out an idle problem.

The issue: After a few minutes of high idle, idle drops very low.

Some Details: 1.7 liter with a single weber progressive carburetor (as my finances permit I'd love to go back to the stock 1.8 FI). I haven't done much driving since I bought the bus (I'm still waiting on Penn DOT to send me the title). However when I do sneak it out around the block, it wants to stall when I start out. It has been getting worse the past two times.

I'm thinking:
Fouled plugs, bad gas, improper idle adjustment

Any ideas? I'll start with by eliminating the first two (plugs and gas). But I'm at a loss as to how to monkey with the weber.

Dave

PS No insult meant to primates.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Manfred
Old School!

Re: low idle

Post by Manfred » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 am

hercdriver wrote:Not a hard problem for the initiated. However if you're knuckles drag on the ground while you walk, it is a daunting problem. Outside of having sore knuckles, I'm also trying to figure out an idle problem.

The issue: After a few minutes of high idle, idle drops very low.

Some Details: 1.7 liter with a single weber progressive carburetor (as my finances permit I'd love to go back to the stock 1.8 FI). I haven't done much driving since I bought the bus (I'm still waiting on Penn DOT to send me the title). However when I do sneak it out around the block, it wants to stall when I start out. It has been getting worse the past two times.

I'm thinking:
Fouled plugs, bad gas, improper idle adjustment

Any ideas? I'll start with by eliminating the first two (plugs and gas). But I'm at a loss as to how to monkey with the weber.

Dave

PS No insult meant to primates.
Hi Dave,

I would check all that you have listed. I'm also thinking maybe your distributor needs to be rebuilt. Not a hard job to do at all. Also, check for vacuum leaks. Most of the time strange idling problems stem from bad vacuum lines.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:30 am

Manfred wrote: Hi Dave,

I would check all that you have listed. I'm also thinking maybe your distributor needs to be rebuilt. Not a hard job to do at all. Also, check for vacuum leaks. Most of the time strange idling problems stem from bad vacuum lines.
I did notice that the distributor (DVDA) has an open vaccum port. I'm sure it wasn't needed for the weber conversion.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:29 am

hercdriver wrote:
Manfred wrote: I did notice that the distributor (DVDA) has an open vaccum port. I'm sure it wasn't needed for the weber conversion.
Bingo! Try plugging it up and see if that helps your acceleration. I would think that vacuum line should go some where to make your distributor work properly.

Check this site out for vacuum hoses. It's for FI, but it might be a good reference still.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.