Pertronix Owners Please Read

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:21 pm

2nd Update:

I pulled the dizzy this evening and checked the magnet. No problems with extra plastic on the shoulder that the Pertronix tech asked me to check for.

Just left him a message. I will post back tomorrow when I (hopefully) hear from them.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Sluggo wrote:I changed my pertronix over to a Compu-Fire. Same problem with the same exact numbers! My dizzy is an aircooled.net svda. Could the dizzy cause these problems?
My dizzy is a stock SVDA. Mr. Curious asks: Did you ever put the points back in and record the timing on each cylinder?

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm

bretski wrote:
Sluggo wrote:I changed my pertronix over to a Compu-Fire. Same problem with the same exact numbers! My dizzy is an aircooled.net svda. Could the dizzy cause these problems?
My dizzy is a stock SVDA. Mr. Curious asks: Did you ever put the points back in and record the timing on each cylinder?
The only time that the distributor could be the cause of errant timing is with points, when a worn distributor shaft allows the point gap to differ as the shaft wobbles, this would retard the timing as the shaft wobbles away from the point set and advance the timing as the shaft wobble towards to the point set. The harmonics would give you a sort of spirograph effect as far as which cylinder's timing is being affected. But if one cylinder alone is being affected, I don't think it could be the distributor itself, but rather some anomaly in the CompuFire or Pertronix, for example, the depth as well as the symmetry of the embedded magnet. When you adjust the gap of the pick-up unit to the rotating trigger, you are changing the dwell as well. I would guess if the magnet is at varying depths, you would have some variance in the trigger time.
Colin?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm

The folks at Pertronix are sending me a new magnet (under warranty). I faxed them a copy of my receipt this morning, it is supposed to be sent today. I will let everyone know what happens when I get the new magnet.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:The only time that the distributor could be the cause of errant timing is with points, when a worn distributor shaft allows the point gap to differ as the shaft wobbles, this would retard the timing as the shaft wobbles away from the point set and advance the timing as the shaft wobble towards to the point set. The harmonics would give you a sort of spirograph effect as far as which cylinder's timing is being affected. But if one cylinder alone is being affected, I don't think it could be the distributor itself, but rather some anomaly in the CompuFire or Pertronix, for example, the depth as well as the symmetry of the embedded magnet. When you adjust the gap of the pick-up unit to the rotating trigger, you are changing the dwell as well. I would guess if the magnet is at varying depths, you would have some variance in the trigger time.
Colin?
I could agree except it's the same exact numbers on the same exact cylinders. Makes me think something else is wrong that didn't change with the breakerless ignition. What else could it be? I also tried rotating the magnet to a different position but nothing changed.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 pm

If rotating the magnet ring didn't change anything then it can't be the pertronix.....or at least the ring. My Mexican SVDA doesn't have this problem when I checked.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:38 am

Sluggo wrote: I could agree except it's the same exact numbers on the same exact cylinders. Makes me think something else is wrong that didn't change with the breakerless ignition. What else could it be?
Your timing light. . . . :blackeye:

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Solution!

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm

I am very happy to report that my Pertronix is now operating correctly. Over the weekend, I received a replacement magnet. I just finished installing the new magnet, and all cylinders now report identically. Hooray!!!! :cheers:

For those of you with this problem, I suggest that you call Pertronix's technical support number: (909) 599-5955.

The new magnet was sent to me free of charge under warranty. I just needed to fax them proof of purchase (receipt from vendor).

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sluggo wrote: I could agree except it's the same exact numbers on the same exact cylinders. Makes me think something else is wrong that didn't change with the breakerless ignition. What else could it be?
Your timing light. . . . :blackeye:
Was using a cheap harbor freight light that only worked if you whacked it against your knee first. I was convinced it was giving false readings so I dropped $100 on an Actron Advance Timing Light that was on sale. Same exact readings.

Check it out when you're here on Wednesday.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Small bit of data to add. I've been using the Pertronix for a couple of years.

Also have two for spares. So as of late, the Bus has had a stumble when running with slight throttle and moderate throttle. Seemed like a fuel delivery problem.

Did the plugs/wires/rotor/cap thing last weekend because it needed it anyway. Still had the stumble.

Today I checked electrical connections, vacuum lines and to make sure the advance plate wasn't sticky. All was well. Then I removed the plastic magnet ring. Held it up to my ear, shook it and heard a rattle. Like a pill in a bottle rattle. Changed it with a spare that didn't rattle. Went for a test drive and the stumble is gone.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:31 pm

so whats the ideal setup these days really?

get an SVDA from aircooled.net and run it with points?

I tried the crane setup years back and didn't like the optical unit personally. It worked great at first, but it would frequently need to be re-set. the little plastic sleeve was hard to keep in alignment.

now, as for the quality of the points themselves. I didn't realize there were 'good' and 'bad' versions of the same Bosch units. is there a different part number for the good Vs bad?

Is that in reference to the ones for the 009 dist that aircooled.net says the following on: "With white stripe (Tiger-Stripe Points), good to 8K RPMs. WILL wear out the rubbing block faster than other points due to higher spring pressure."

?

It looks like those are around $12 now, Vs the others they sell for about $6.50 (and busdepot has for less than $3 now)
1979 California Transporter

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 am

another oddball question on this topic, why do we always put the timing light on the #1 plug when we set the timing?

if im understanding this thread correctly, and I assure you I am not, if you can verify your elec ignition by checking the 4 different plugs separately to see where they are at and verify they are all the same, then it really makes no difference which plug you pick when you go to set the timing yea?

(im missing something right?)
1979 California Transporter

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Good post...
I have several Petronixs in use here and one compufire....I will checking them.....Years ago I had one with a missing magnet...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 pm

airkooledchris wrote:another oddball question on this topic, why do we always put the timing light on the #1 plug when we set the timing?

if im understanding this thread correctly, and I assure you I am not, if you can verify your elec ignition by checking the 4 different plugs separately to see where they are at and verify they are all the same, then it really makes no difference which plug you pick when you go to set the timing yea?

(im missing something right?)
You can put the timing light on #1 or #3 wire with all VWs after 1971. During the 60's #3 was retarded 3º to help keep it running a little cooler. This was achieved by grinding the breaker cam lobe at #3 slightly more than the rest, the points would not be pushed open as soon.

You cannot time using #2 or #4 wires, because they would be flashing the strobe halfway around the crankshaft pulley.
Colin
(good points seem to have a more solid plate stamping than the later ones, which bend if you over-tighten the point screw then forever more seek that spot every time you attempt to readjust the points)

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:27 pm

I have no faith in the (new) zippy-do 034 SVDA's that are being sold. I bought one. Spun it on a machine to plot the curve since it was to have been custom curved from my stock application. One of the lobes was off a coupla degrees. The marks were scattered. The operator stopped in the middle of testing to give the wtf look. Brand new I tells him. We completed the plot curve. It was close to what my OE spun so I accepted that. Of the four dizzy's that were spun that day, the (new) SVDA was the worst. In my disgust, I smasheditallup and threw it in the trash. Had to stop its curse. Felt good. Cheap aftermarket crap yet advertised as the best thing since sliced bread. There ya go. Moderate or delete as seen fit.