Engine Rebuild Note, Rod Notching

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Bleyseng wrote:I agree with Colin.....bullsh*t engineering..
go on the rat forums and tell that to jake :-)

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:19 pm

c'mon Scott... dont stir the pot. If you know of a link that'll help, please post it.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:27 pm

Ok, I will.....hopefully he will explain it. My guess is its for high rpms.... :bounce:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 pm

This talk takes me back to the discussion of the 30mm oil pumps and whether the larger oil pumps actually caused low oil pressure. It all made a lot of sense from both sides and was a wonderful discussion, but...there was no resolution.

What we need is a think tank to test all this stuff out and take it out of the hypothetical realm and make it empirical, or we could trust Jake since he’s seems to be the only one doing something close to this.

Right now, I’m stuck picking my prophet and believing whatever they say….

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 am

germansupplyscott wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:I agree with Colin.....bullsh*t engineering..
go on the rat forums and tell that to jake :-)
I have conversed with Jake several times regarding engineering.
Once you are off the factory path, then yes, you have to consider all these new variables you have introduced by shifting the parameters.

I respect Jake's thoroughness and attention to detail. I also respect his ability to test and report such gems as "damn, the 36 hp shroud really is as good as it gets" when everyone was hoping some exotic 911 fan and shroud would be the cooling champ.

I would be a good listener in the company of a DTM performance engine with modified heads and pistons and crank and hell dry sump anyone? The idiocy begins when people get a hard-on for that cool engineering and want to bring it back to their little stock engine when they haven't so much as cleaned the crap out of their oil cooler or noticed that the centrifugal advance unit is frozen up.

Triple-notching the piss out your rods is > s-t-u-p-i-d < unless you are way off the factory engineering path in full command of the information as to WHY you are doing so. Meanwhile. . . . . with stock valve springs with stock lift within stock rpm limits, trust that your camshaft is sufficiently lubricated. . . if you change your damn oil regularly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles