Oil pressure gauge, installation.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Oil pressure gauge, installation.

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:09 am

I plan on working with Colin, in about 10 days, and one of the things we discussed doing is installing an oil pressure gauge on my 2 liter type 4, which, you may recall, is an Adrian build. I was looking at the VDO Oil Pressure Gauge 80 PSI, 2 1/16 In Diameter, and the VDO Oil Pressure Sender, that allows both gauge and warning light to work. These are offered by Bus Depot. Has anyone installed them, and used them? If so, are they a direct fit, or is an adapter required. I would appreciate any installation tips, as I want to have all necessary components on hand for Colin's visit. It is always an embarrassment to come up short when the Maestro comes calling, and one must endure the baleful look...downright painful, by golly.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Oil pressure gauge, installation.

Post by SlowLane » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 am

I have been sporting the VDO oil pressure gauge and sender in my Vanagon since shortly after I bought it in 1998. It's a simple and reliable setup.

For the Type 4 engine, the sender doesn't fit nicely into the case. VDO made a hose adapter kit (seen here on the Bus-Boy's site, about half-way down the page). The VDO part number according to Bus-Boys is VDO-150752. It may be hard to find. A Google search turns up a fancy stainless-steel braided replacement from Auto Atlanta for 69 buckaroonies.

I'm using one of the VDO extension hoses, and it works just dandy, but there is a minor issue (at least, with the one I got): the fitting on the hose where it screws into the case is a 1/8" NPT, but the actual thread in the case is apparently a 10x1 mm straight-thread. I was a bit miffed at this, but I threaded it into the case regardless and have had zero problems with it since. Just be forewarned that once you tighten down the 1/8 NPT thread, there's probably no going back to a 10 mm straight-thread sender in that case.

Bus-Boys say not to use teflon tape on the sender end of the hose because the tape is electrically non-conductive, but so is the entire length of rubber hose, so I don't know what they were thinking there. The sender will need to ground itself through the hold-down bracket, so make sure that has a good ground.

Also, the tripping pressure of the warning switch in the VDO dual-sender is higher than the stock pressure switch, so it's pretty common for people using these senders to see their oil light flickering at idle when the oil is warm/hot where they didn't have it flicker before with the stock sender. As long as one is aware of this, it shouldn't be a concern.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

I have the VDO single pole sender and plumbed it with an extension hose and a cross (similar to this relocation kit) to use the stock sender. I simply ran a second ground to the senders. If nothing else, that link gives you a decent idea of thread differences and potential components to use.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I have driven a few times the circumference of the globe with my 80-psi VDO oil pressure gauge with nary a problem or complaint. It's well-made and on par with my grandpa's mechanical gauge.

Yes, the dual pole warning light trigger is closer to 8-9psi on the new sender, where stock was less than half of that. With my current engine at 950-1050 RPM idle I have not yet seen the light flicker on hot days unless I dump the clutch too quickly. My older engine would flicker that light on the hottest days after a freeway hillclimb to an offramp, but even VW said a little flickering is OK once they introduced larger oil galleries to deliver more oil volume at the expense of less pressure. So, I guess we shouldn't worry about a flickering VDO light. Problem is, when the light turns solid at idle, we don't know if we have 7psi (totally acceptable at idle) or <1psi, (suffocate the bearings territory.)

Good luck with the T4 instal, I know nothing about that installation.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Here's a nice long thread on the topic: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
It even has Nigel A. Skeet chiming in, so it must be good.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:44 am

All I want to do is establish your current oil pressure so we don't have to wonder. I am not a fan of constant oil pressure monitoring because I have seen too many leaks and too many oil lamp triggering panic attacks due to that aforementioned higher set point. I have a test gauge, we can check your pressure and revert back to the factory sender with the factory threads intact on the case . . . or we can install a real-time gauge if that is your wont/want/whant/whomp.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:52 am

I would be interested in knowing Jivermo's oil pressures as well. A few people have asked me what do do about their aging/seized/low pressure T4 engines and I don't have an answer for them except "dig in!"

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Robbie-you'll get the figures when we do the tests. Thanks for all the great tips, folks. Right now, I'm leaning towards NOT installing a gauge. I don't like the idea of the VDO sender with the higher PSI setting, and the resulting unfactory like messing with the idiot light.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:47 am

Jivermo wrote:Right now, I'm leaning towards NOT installing a gauge.
Probably a wise decision. The first gauge you install can be the start of a slippery slope towards something like this:
:blackeye:
Jivermo wrote:I don't like the idea of the VDO sender with the higher PSI setting, and the resulting unfactory like messing with the idiot light.
The slick hose kit that lilpig linked to would allow you to use your stock pressure switch in tandem with the gauge sender, giving you the best of both worlds, should you change your mind.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:08 pm

SlowLane wrote: The slick hose kit that lilpig linked to would allow you to use your stock pressure switch in tandem with the gauge sender, giving you the best of both worlds, should you change your mind.

That's what I did on Vana: stock pressure sender to dash idiot light...dual pole VDO to pressure gauge.
I used the VDO T adapter and and tubing kit:
-tubing kit from engine case to t adapter
-both senders connected to t adapter
-t-adapter/senders inelegantly zip tied to vestigial ignition coil clamp in engine bay (haven't gotten around to "prettying" that up yet :drunken: )

...all of my VDO stuff came from Aircooled.net, FWIW...

...an alternative approach by BellePlaine: have the VDO dual pole re-calibrated to reflect stock sender settings for low pressure! :cyclopsani:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:24 pm

the miz wrote:...an alternative approach by BellePlaine: have the VDO dual pole re-calibrated to reflect stock sender settings for low pressure!
Now that's intriguing. How the heck did he do that? The VDO sender I have doesn't look like it would appreciate any attempt at disassembly. It's pretty solidly crimped together.

- Terry Pratchett

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

For the record I am the keeper of the Phil's (Whip618) gauge template if you wish to install three 2 1/16" gauges under the radio location on the dash....if you want to borrow it..... just let me know. Here is the thread that it comes from....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... e+template

Ironically the factory OP hose is the same thread pitch (10mmx1.0mm) as a brake hose is. The nice thing about the 42 Design kit is that you can actually install a gauge right there on the firewall as it has both pitches on the 4 way....10mm & NPT

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-o ... ation-kit/
79 VW Bus

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm

guages make me nervous
60 beetle
78 bus

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Still waiting to see someone "gauge" their earlobes with an actual 52 mm VDO gauge. :pukeright: That's just one fashion trend that I can't understand.

- Terry Pratchett

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:04 pm

i installed the vdo and sender on our vanagon after we started getting buzzer and flashing oil light. just a bad switch but having the gauge there gives me piece of mind.
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3