Stock Crank pulley size questions

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Stock Crank pulley size questions

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:18 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Long time ago in Albuquerque NM, October 2011 , I replaced the crankshaft pulley that came with Chloe because it was a horrible late (5* ATDC notch / dimple for TDC) pulley with terrible run-out that tightened and slackened the fan belt in a vibrationous unacceptability. I bought an original old pulley from some little shop up some little industrial park for $10.00, sanded it and painted it and put little valve adjustment stripes on it and I loved that nice little pulley. Did I say "little" pulley? I sure did. Turns out VW had a 6.85455" pulley and replaced it with a 7.32119" pulley for the later 1600s. So my Albuquerque pulley has been slightly undersized all these years, and I have had floppy belt tension even with the small 900mm belt.
Do I bore you?
I ordered a later pulley from a guy in Pennsylvania (whoever you are, I hate you) and it never arrived and he does not respond to messages (a pox on your lazy butt, a boil, a painful boil).

Yesterday, on a referral from the local Pensacola VW shop that also fixes postal trucks now, I drove off into the Florida countryside and discovered Werner in his shop. Werner was all about the good old days, and just had to show me his stash, it is pretty impressive. Type 1 engine parts, Type 3 fuel injection parts, cases of empty beer cans, and a 7.32119" "D" pulley for Chloe
Colin or anyone else. What years was this larger (7.32119) D pulley's installed on 1600's? What years was that smaller diameter pulley installed on engines? I'm just curious about this.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Stock Crank pulley size questions

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:31 am

The "D" Stamped Pulley is used in 12v. There are two different offsets, both on "D" stamped pulleys. The difference is .100" toward the rear of the car. I believe that this was done to accommodate the Alternator and there is something about a spacer for the Generator Pulley when used with a Generator. The latest VW Part Number that I can find is 113 105 251 G. There doesn't seem to be a separate pulley for Fuel injected Cars. In later years the finish was anodized instead of painted black.

Also, this was a response from a long time VW parts guy at the dealers in the 70's. He is suggesting the smaller pulley in Colin's photo comparison is a 6 volt crank pulley. He sells lots of hard to find parts and odd bits. His knowledge is amazing.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:01 pm

The pulley in our 69 (1600 DP) is an aluminum degree wheel. After fighting with "too loose" belts - even with *all* the spacers removed - a shop clerk recommended using the 6 volt (900 mm) belt. Adjustment problem solved.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:56 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:The "D" Stamped Pulley is used in 12v. There are two different offsets, both on "D" stamped pulleys. The difference is .100" toward the rear of the car. I believe that this was done to accommodate the Alternator

Also, this was a response from a long time VW parts guy at the dealers in the 70's. He is suggesting the smaller pulley in Colin's photo comparison is a 6 volt crank pulley. He sells lots of hard to find parts and odd bits. His knowledge is amazing.
I thought the offset might have to do with the 38a generator versus the 30a generator. Getting the 38a generator packaged between the fan and the crankshaft pulley was a whole lot more difficult than an alternator that is such a squat little thing. The 38a generator had to use that offset fan housing plate and I am pretty sure that the cast iron bus generator pulley preferred to have a crankshaft pulley that gave it room to stick out a little.

There are so many dimensions and design quirks bristling all over these cars . . . . my apron tin + crankshaft pulley plate utterly demand the correct D pulley because there would be contact otherwise.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Aye, add to that those same D pulley years have corresponding auto-stick bug pulleys (and tin) to clear the Keystone XL Oil Pump, and you have a recipe for confusion. That damn mismatched parts stack up took away all my new engine end play before I figured out what was rubbing what. :study:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:47 am

Welp,

It would appear then that the larger outside diameter crank pulley was standard size then when they went to 12 volt. At some point in the 70's they started getting the "D" pulley towards the end of the production run in Deutschland. It would appear that some pulley's had a tweak for 38amp generator or alternator or autostick shift.

Where the hell are all the 60's and 70's retired VW dealership parts guys these days to answer these questions with authority! :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:09 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Welp,

It would appear then that the larger outside diameter crank pulley was standard size then when they went to 12 volt. At some point in the 70's they started getting the "D" pulley towards the end of the production run in Deutschland. It would appear that some pulley's had a tweak for 38amp generator or alternator or autostick shift.

The pulley size change I think came with the 1600 upright. Its first application was the 1968 bus.
wcfvw69 wrote: Where the hell are all the 60's and 70's retired VW dealership parts guys these days to answer these questions with authority! :)
They are at the Pleasant Pastures Retirement Living Oasis in Fort Myers FL.
Remember not to visit during nap time, crafts hour, meds distribution, or activity day.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:21 am

Amskeptic wrote: They are at the Pleasant Pastures Retirement Living Oasis in Fort Myers FL.
Remember not to visit during nap time, crafts hour, meds distribution, or activity day.
Colin
Well hell, let's get them all hooked up to the computer so we can pick their gosh darn brains. :) The VW parts guy I buy parts from who worked at a VW dealership in the parts department in the 70's and 80's is pretty well versed on these air cooled VW's and their parts. He appears to have a deep library of parts books and other information as well. He bought out a lot of these air cooled parts back in the day and sells them on The Samba. He's a super nice man. It's rare that you run into an "old timer" like this who really knows his stuff.

There's lots of "claimed" ex VW techs from the 60's and 70's on The Samba but you don't see ex parts guys, salesman, etc post much if at all. Seems kind of odd to me as most are clearly retired and sadly, many have passed as well.