Rebuild or swap?!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Dave91
I'm New!

Re: Rebuild or swap?!

Post by Dave91 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:33 pm

cegammel wrote:Yes. There should be paper gaskets and permatex in the mating surfaces, but nothing inside of the case...I think. You should also have barrel shims at the base of each cylinder, most likely. They may be imperceptibly gooed on...

Let one of these more experienced guys jump in here...
ok, so i should remove it all and clean them out and replace the paper gaskets and permatex?
Whats the best thing for cleaning something like that?
Ill look up a picture of the shims you mentionned because i dont remember seeing anything...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 pm

cegammel wrote:Yes. There should be paper gaskets and permatex in the mating surfaces, but nothing inside of the case...I think. You should also have barrel shims at the base of each cylinder, most likely. They may be imperceptibly gooed on...

I have never used paper? gaskets on a Type 4 engine. Just the .010mm skinny width base shims.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Dave91 wrote:
ok, so i should remove it all and clean them out and replace the paper gaskets and permatex?
Whats the best thing for cleaning something like that?
Ill look up a picture of the shims you mentionned because i dont remember seeing anything...
Use your common sense and experience to answer the blow-by-blow questions like "what do I clean it with."

If you have an oil-resistant sealant baked onto a cast iron or aluminum surface, you can be sure that chemical means will be necessary. Use bristle brush that is always softer than the material you are cleaning, i.e. no steel brush on aluminum case sealing surfaces.

I like GumOut carb spray as my chemical cleaning means. Do not use paper between the cylinders and case. That is only for 1600 and earlier Type 1 engines.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles