Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
Duke G
I'm New!
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:
Status: Offline

Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by Duke G » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for rebuilding cylinder heads around Portland for a stock 2L out of a '78? In light of folks recent troubles with HFM I'm a little hesitant to send them off.

Thanks!

Duke
'78 Westy "Kermit"
'77 Westy "Kermit Mk. II"
'71 Squareback "Baby Blue"

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Duke G wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for rebuilding cylinder heads around Portland for a stock 2L out of a '78? In light of folks recent troubles with HFM I'm a little hesitant to send them off.

Thanks!

Duke
You can engage with any engine machinist. If they are not fluffy egos, or harried rushed, you might be able to establish a communication with them to do what needs to be done, and they might even do it correctly . . . ask tristessa (shoot him a PM or email) for any current air-cooled VW savvy machinists that he *trusts*.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite
Location: Portland, Ore.
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by hambone » Thu May 05, 2016 11:02 am

Bearing Svcs downtown seems high quality but quite expensive.
Halsey uses some guy down in Clackamas, I'd give them or Always VW a call for advice. We lost Dan Hall a few years back, the mainstay.
Sincerely,
-NotHal
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 05, 2016 5:07 pm

hambone wrote:Bearing Svcs downtown seems high quality but quite expensive.
Halsey uses some guy down in Clackamas, I'd give them or Always VW a call for advice. We lost Dan Hall a few years back, the mainstay.
Sincerely,
-NotHal
Why thank-you, NotHal.
NotBob
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

Duke G
I'm New!
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by Duke G » Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:You can engage with any engine machinist. If they are not fluffy egos, or harried rushed, you might be able to establish a communication with them to do what needs to be done, and they might even do it correctly . . . ask tristessa (shoot him a PM or email) for any current air-cooled VW savvy machinists that he *trusts*.
Colin
Thanks Colin!
'78 Westy "Kermit"
'77 Westy "Kermit Mk. II"
'71 Squareback "Baby Blue"

Duke G
I'm New!
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by Duke G » Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 pm

hambone wrote:Bearing Svcs downtown seems high quality but quite expensive.
Halsey uses some guy down in Clackamas, I'd give them or Always VW a call for advice. We lost Dan Hall a few years back, the mainstay.
Sincerely,
-NotHal
Is that the "Bigfoot" guy?
'78 Westy "Kermit"
'77 Westy "Kermit Mk. II"
'71 Squareback "Baby Blue"

User avatar
hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite
Location: Portland, Ore.
Status: Offline

Re: Type IV 2L cylinder head work -Portland, OR?

Post by hambone » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

No he's just a rusty-parts seller.
Clackamas:
Jimbo's Volks Haus
503-829-3355
salmoncreek@molall.net
They seem quite reasonable but have no idea of their quality.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Post Reply