I need a muffler

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Re: I need a muffler

Post by Mulcheese » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:25 am

the miz wrote:By the way, Mulcheese...if you want a free cherry bomb...for a quick fix...I can help you out! :thumbleft:

A huge thanks miz but I think Ill pass. That thing is too "cherry" for me. I dont want to sound like I should be drifting in the van.

I really want to get something to last 5 years tops so I can then go with this set-up-
These: http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 332&page=1
So I can use this: http://www.busdepot.com/071251053e which I believe you tried to fit miz

I have tried Napa and Oreilly and they couldnt get anything? If I could find a $50 muffler that would be great. I will probably end up get the BD one and if it is still good after the J-pipe blows then pass it on to someone that is in need.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:01 am

Mulcheese wrote: I really want to get something to last 5 years tops so I can then go with this set-up-
These: http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 332&page=1
So I can use this: http://www.busdepot.com/071251053e which I believe you tried to fit miz
...damn, wish I'd known those spacers were available...that will most likely fix the fit issues and allow you to use that nice Ernst muffler that you've shown via BD. That will be a great set up...go for it!
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:17 am

I am thinking of switching it up. Instead of getting a muffler and then waiting until th extractor blows to replace the whole system I may just scrap it now and go with what I have come across.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 332&page=1

Do you see any reason this wouldnt be a good idea?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 am

Mulcheese wrote:I am thinking of switching it up. Instead of getting a muffler and then waiting until th extractor blows to replace the whole system I may just scrap it now and go with what I have come across.

Do you see any reason this wouldnt be a good idea?
Other than a steep price, no.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:59 am

Amskeptic wrote: Other than a steep price, no.
Colin
The way I figure it the muffler, gasket, and tail pipe (if needed) cost about $180. For $350 I can replace the entire system. The J-pipe will need to be replaced in the near future. If it is NLA then this process is guaranteed to happen, just not now so the semi new muffer will be useless.

Is there a cheaper way to do that? If there is Im all over it.

I do like the stainless set up but that is almost double and that is steep. If they would take out the cat then Id be interested as we have no emissions testing here in Mn.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Mulcheese wrote:The way I figure it the muffler, gasket, and tail pipe (if needed) cost about $180. For $350 I can replace the entire system. The J-pipe will need to be replaced in the near future. If it is NLA then this process is guaranteed to happen, just not now so the semi new muffer will be useless.

Is there a cheaper way to do that? If there is I'm all over it.
AZLandshaper seems to have figured out how to weld an off-the-shelf exhaust tubing J-bend to his crossover pipe, so that might be an option for keeping a semi-stock system.
Mulcheese wrote:I do like the stainless set up but that is almost double and that is steep. If they would take out the cat then Id be interested as we have no emissions testing here in Mn.
Try contacting Rocky Mountain Westy. They may be willing to sell parts of their system, seeing as how it's mostly cobbled up from commonly available exhaust tubes. They can't be selling a huge quantity of them, so they might be flexible.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Rocky Mountain Westy offered to sell me everything upstream of the cat for a $100 discount. This still seems steep for a stainless cross over pipe, given that it doesn't appear to have the flange to connect to a cat, etc., so you'd still have to weld or cobble together the rest of the system. It seems like an intact, stock 80-83 federal cross over pipe is a valuable commodity these days...
1982 Westy- Vana White

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:24 pm

the miz wrote:Rocky Mountain Westy offered to sell me everything upstream of the cat for a $100 discount. This still seems steep for a stainless cross over pipe, given that it doesn't appear to have the flange to connect to a cat, etc.,.
So are you saying $599-$100=$499 for a j-pipe????? Actually I am not surprised that this is the going rate for a crossover. This is where these parts are going which is my motivation behind my new direction.
the miz wrote: so you'd still have to weld or cobble together the rest of the system.
I can weld, sort of, but there is no way I would spend this and have to modify to fit. Again starting to lean........
the miz wrote: It seems like an intact, stock 80-83 federal cross over pipe is a valuable commodity these days...
YES! Leaning a bit fartherrrrr... Somebody correct my steer if Im off.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:55 pm

I thought that $499 for a cross pipe that won't mate to a "stock" component downstream was a bit of a rip too. If you can weld, maybe you can fab a cross over like AZ Landshsper did? Otherwise...is your stock crossover totally rotten (like mine) or would a new muffler get you by for a few seasons? If so, $136.50 for a new stock type Ansa muffler (http://www.busdepot.com/071251053can) seems like the "cheap" way to go...
1982 Westy- Vana White

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Ok so here is where I am at. Considering I like to keep the van as stock as possible I decided to do some more research. I read some where that an old ford truck has a similiar style muffler. I pulled up their site and plugged in 1970 Ford F100 and this is what came up

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/SMU18129_0352216316

I compared the specs to my current one, not sure if this is stock, and It is almost identical. I ordered it and it will be here in a day.

I fugured this will out last the j-pipe and at that point I will survey the system and determine what direction to take.

For future reference, if link doesnt work: Soundmaster muffler part# SMU 18129.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Mulcheese wrote:Ok so here is where I am at. Considering I like to keep the van as stock as possible I decided to do some more research. I read some where that an old ford truck has a similiar style muffler. I pulled up their site and plugged in 1970 Ford F100 and this is what came up

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/SMU18129_0352216316

I compared the specs to my current one, not sure if this is stock, and It is almost identical. I ordered it and it will be here in a day.

I fugured this will out last the j-pipe and at that point I will survey the system and determine what direction to take.

For future reference, if link doesnt work: Soundmaster muffler part# SMU 18129.
You will need to weld a 90º tail pipe on the end . . .
Colin

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
You will need to weld a 90º tail pipe on the end . . .
Colin
Got it covered. Picked up a 90 with the muffler today and will be assembling and installing this weekend. I will report how it turns out.

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:05 am

I have a 72-74 muffler that bolts up nicely to my heat exchangers on my 79 Federal engine. However, the metal around the square ports is rusted and leaking. I can weld it up but would like to think there is a cleaner, newer product out there. Can anyone help me find it or am I looking for another Unicorn? Thanks.

Colin, call me.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:10 am

Jack, but are you referring to the heat exchangers having rusted out where they bolt to the heads? The sheetmetal holding in the "fresh" air, or are the actual exhaust pipes leaking?

That may very well be a unicorn, since they were one year only parts, sorry to say.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:26 am

SlowLane wrote:Jack, but are you referring to the heat exchangers having rusted out where they bolt to the heads? The sheetmetal holding in the "fresh" air, or are the actual exhaust pipes leaking?

That may very well be a unicorn, since they were one year only parts, sorry to say.
I think he is talking about the trapezoidal flanges on the muffler itself. He needs a muffler.
Colin