I need a muffler

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: I need a muffler

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 am

Amskeptic wrote: I think he is talking about the trapezoidal flanges on the muffler itself. He needs a muffler.
Colin
If that's the case, then Jack, I believe Steve Kent has a '79 Federal crossover pipe that he had sourced for Magnaflow to use in fitting up their new bus catalytic converter. He may be persuaded to part with it, since he wouldn't need it himself.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 01, 2016 6:46 am

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I think he is talking about the trapezoidal flanges on the muffler itself. He needs a muffler.
Colin
If that's the case, then Jack, I believe Steve Kent has a '79 Federal crossover pipe that he had sourced for Magnaflow to use in fitting up their new bus catalytic converter. He may be persuaded to part with it, since he wouldn't need it himself.
He has the '72-'74 exchangers that use the '72-'74 muffler.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun May 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote: If that's the case, then Jack, I believe Steve Kent has a '79 Federal crossover pipe that he had sourced for Magnaflow to use in fitting up their new bus catalytic converter. He may be persuaded to part with it, since he wouldn't need it himself.
Okay, '72-'74 oval-port exchangers bolted to '79 rectangular-port heads? :scratch:

Or could it be that, amongst the 1,426,853 miscellaneous arcane VW facts that you keep in your head, the one about VW going back to the trapezoidal exhaust flange with the 1979 Federal bus just slipped your mind?

The crossover pipe that Steve loaned to Magnaflow has trapezoidal flanges. Don't know whether he still has it, or if he found another recipient.

Aside from that, it seems to be fairly common practice to fit a '72-'74 muffler onto '79-'83 exchangers. Shouldn't the reverse also be feasible?

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 02, 2016 5:07 am

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote: If that's the case, then Jack, I believe Steve Kent has a '79 Federal crossover pipe that he had sourced for Magnaflow to use in fitting up their new bus catalytic converter. He may be persuaded to part with it, since he wouldn't need it himself.
Okay, '72-'74 oval-port exchangers bolted to '79 rectangular-port heads? :scratch:

Or could it be that, amongst the 1,426,853 miscellaneous arcane VW facts that you keep in your head, the one about VW going back to the trapezoidal exhaust flange with the 1979 Federal bus just slipped your mind?

The crossover pipe that Steve loaned to Magnaflow has trapezoidal flanges. Don't know whether he still has it, or if he found another recipient.

Aside from that, it seems to be fairly common practice to fit a '72-'74 muffler onto '79-'83 exchangers. Shouldn't the reverse also be feasible?
Jack, where are you?

I have visited and worked on this bus. It was rebuilt with upgraded cam and heads. I am well aware of arcane fact # 1,426,853b.
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 am

Amskeptic wrote: I have visited and worked on this bus. It was rebuilt with upgraded cam and heads. I am well aware of arcane fact # 1,426,853b.
Colin
Okay, got it. Butting out now.

- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 02, 2016 9:39 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I have visited and worked on this bus. It was rebuilt with upgraded cam and heads. I am well aware of arcane fact # 1,426,853b.
Colin
Okay, got it. Butting out now.
Jack needs to butt in. And our vast international readership appreciates your own thorough command of the arcana . . .
Colin

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Mon May 30, 2016 5:28 am

Well, um, (head slumped low) I was wrong. I finally got to installing this Napa muffler. The muffler will not fit. The diameter (6") is just too large to fit up in the tight spot. I thiought that there is some wiggle roonm but not enough. I did not want to start to re-shape tubes as some have done to fit a non stock exhaust. It appears that my only choice is the stock Ansa muffler from Bus depot.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 31, 2016 8:03 am

Mulcheese wrote:Well, um, (head slumped low) I was wrong. I finally got to installing this Napa muffler. The muffler will not fit. The diameter (6") is just too large to fit up in the tight spot. I thiought that there is some wiggle roonm but not enough. I did not want to start to re-shape tubes as some have done to fit a non stock exhaust. It appears that my only choice is the stock Ansa muffler from Bus depot.
...that's too bad. If you can limp by on your existing set up, I may have a muffler to offer you in a few weeks...stay tuned.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 am

the miz wrote:
...that's too bad. If you can limp by on your existing set up, I may have a muffler to offer you in a few weeks...stay tuned.

miz
Thanks miz but Bus Depot order already placed. It would be nice to get the order by Saturday as I may be showing off the van at
http://www.twincitiesvwclub.com/BugIn.html

Come on by and bring others!
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 31, 2016 9:48 am

Mulcheese wrote: Thanks miz but Bus Depot order already placed. It would be nice to get the order by Saturday as I may be showing off the van at

...no worries, I understand...I have a few things I'd like to complete before taking Vana to the Bug In as well. Maybe I'll see you there!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:13 am

the miz wrote:
Mulcheese wrote: Thanks miz but Bus Depot order already placed. It would be nice to get the order by Saturday as I may be showing off the van at

...no worries, I understand...I have a few things I'd like to complete before taking Vana to the Bug In as well. Maybe I'll see you there!

miz
PEOPLE, this is not a personal message board, it is Engine.
Colin :blackeye:

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Apologies for flogging this dead horse, but Steve just posted the aforementioned '79 crossover pipe for sale on the Samba : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1935673 in case anyone is interested.

- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:47 am

Mulcheese wrote: I really want to get something to last 5 years tops so I can then go with this set-up-
These: http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 332&page=1
So I can use this: http://www.busdepot.com/071251053e which I believe you tried to fit miz
Well, I'll be danged, the Ernst muffler from Bus Depot coupled with the spacer kit from German Supply fit!
I finally got that set up mounted this weekend...although not without some difficulty...in trying to remove the original studs from the new Ernst muffler, one of the 6 broke off. :silent: I was slowed down a bit by the need to extract the remnants of the stud and cutting some new threads, but once installed, pretty sweet. The entire family swore it was quieter on the ride to the Bug In yesterday...must've been, I could actually hear what the kids were saying from the back bench!

...now, if only Bus Depot had a similar spacer kit...or would at least alert Vanagonians to the fact that the Ernst isn't really a direct fit and that a spacer kit is needed...more of us might be able to avoid having to buy rusty, holey cross over pipes for $200! :blackeye:

...that said, I'm going to see how much it would cost to repair my crossover pipe...'cause hey...it's worth like $200! :geek:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White