Whats w this motor?

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

User avatar
SlowLane
IAC Addict!
Location: Livermore, CA
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by SlowLane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Extending your Pertronix wires a couple of feet shouldn't make any difference, as long as you used the same gauge of wire or larger and ensured a good connection.

Recommend that you disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble your original dizzy. You would be amazed at how much smoother the engine runs.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom."
- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
airkooledchris
IAC Addict!
Location: Eureka, California
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:31 am

why is it that the worst of the worst vw rebuilders are all 3 letter companies?
JCS, GEX and AVP
1979 California Transporter

User avatar
asiab3
IAC Addict!
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by asiab3 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 am

airkooledchris wrote:why is it that the worst of the worst vw rebuilders are all 3 letter companies?
JCS, GEX and AVP
I hope HFM doesn't join that list, though it could be headed that way.

RRM
1969 bus, "Buddy."
100k miles with me.
279k miles on Earth.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:07 pm

airkooledchris wrote:why is it that the worst of the worst vw rebuilders are all 3 letter companies?
JCS, GEX and AVP
Cuz wee suk.
IAC INC. LLC
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
AZ Landshaper
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:19 am

Alrighty now that we've created list of don't go theres. Many people want to know where to go. Obv Raby but other options? Anyone ever dealt w the dude now running Boston Bobs operation?

In my case I have done the compression tests and readjusted the valves and run the motor and readjusted valves ( no change) and done a compression test again. Numbers are all above 110 w exception of cyl 1. 80lbs. After a squirt of oil and a few slow revolutions the numbers went up by 20 lbs all around.
I'm judging by that that there may be some valve work required in cyl 1. In addition the exhaust valve adjust screw (on no.1) is quite a bit longer on the outside than the other 4 screws. This is further info leading me to say. Problems in cyl1 w valves.
Looking for some input before I tear this down and start further eval of that area of my motor and don't forget I'm only pulling 11hg of vacuum for some unknown to me reason.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 am

AZ Landshaper wrote:Alrighty now that we've created list of don't go theres. Many people want to know where to go. Obv Raby but other options? Anyone ever dealt w the dude now running Boston Bobs operation?

In my case I have done the compression tests and readjusted the valves and run the motor and readjusted valves ( no change) and done a compression test again. Numbers are all above 110 w exception of cyl 1. 80lbs. After a squirt of oil and a few slow revolutions the numbers went up by 20 lbs all around.
I'm judging by that that there may be some valve work required in cyl 1. In addition the exhaust valve adjust screw (on no.1) is quite a bit longer on the outside than the other 4 screws. This is further info leading me to say. Problems in cyl1 w valves.
Looking for some input before I tear this down and start further eval of that area of my motor and don't forget I'm only pulling 11hg of vacuum for some unknown to me reason.
A 20# increase in wet over dry compression reading points to rings, and is mostly expected. You have valve seat recession or wear on #1. You can conceivably do just upper end work if the lower end has easily adjustable end play reading and no known history of lousy oil pressure.

If you have an AFTER TDC timing specification with a DUAL advance distributor, then your vacuum is NORMAL.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
AZ Landshaper
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 am

I'm under impression that my timing spec is 7.5btdc or 28 WOT hose off. Do you have reason to think otherwise? And what do u mean by easily adjustable end play reading ?
I'll order bug me 8 today. I've got three hours to watch j raby work a type 4.

User avatar
energyturtle
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by energyturtle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:38 am

AZ Landshaper wrote:I'm under impression that my timing spec is 7.5btdc or 28 WOT hose off. Do you have reason to think otherwise? And what do u mean by easily adjustable end play reading ?
I'll order bug me 8 today. I've got three hours to watch j raby work a type 4.
Timing should be OK. Easily adjusted endplay means getting it back within spec through 3 different size shims between the crankshaft and flywheel to keep main bearings happy, if it has good oil pressure as of now, the bottom end should be able to be brought back into spec. I stripped my 2.0 vanagon to the short block, with it still in the bus in a little over three hours. I removed the same engine and had it on an engine stand in short block form in 1 hour 45 min. Its really not a big undertaking considering the size of the vanagon engine bay. A top end build is pretty easy and straightforward. $400 for head machining, new valves and springs. $50 gasket kit, and $190 for new pistons, rings,and cylinders. $650 with you doing the assembly. PM me and I can walk you through the details. Don't buy the video. Ive got you covered there too.
Scottie

User avatar
energyturtle
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by energyturtle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:40 am

Follow Colin on the timing, as I still don't know for sure what motor you have?
Scottie

User avatar
AZ Landshaper
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Engine code as stamped on the case below port for EGR reads W009375.

I've done a valve job in past on a few type 4 motors but never pulling pistons and messing w crank shaft.

User avatar
AZ Landshaper
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:33 pm

You have that video? I'd like to see it either way. If you want to part w it or lend it whatever. Sounds like a great way to feed my thirst for more Aircooled information.

User avatar
Sneaks
I'm New!
Location: Albany TWP, Me
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by Sneaks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:35 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:Alrighty now that we've created list of don't go theres. Many people want to know where to go. Obv Raby but other options? Anyone ever dealt w the dude now running Boston Bobs operation?

In my case I have done the compression tests and readjusted the valves and run the motor and readjusted valves ( no change) and done a compression test again. Numbers are all above 110 w exception of cyl 1. 80lbs. After a squirt of oil and a few slow revolutions the numbers went up by 20 lbs all around.
I'm judging by that that there may be some valve work required in cyl 1. In addition the exhaust valve adjust screw (on no.1) is quite a bit longer on the outside than the other 4 screws. This is further info leading me to say. Problems in cyl1 w valves.
Looking for some input before I tear this down and start further eval of that area of my motor and don't forget I'm only pulling 11hg of vacuum for some unknown to me reason.
Guy I used to go off-roading with (fusername on TOS and STF) used to work with Bob as well as the new owner. From what he's told me, it's business as usual.

Fuser owns this, it was Bob's...

Image

Image

Image
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:44 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:I'm under impression that my timing spec is 7.5btdc or 28 WOT hose off. Do you have reason to think otherwise? And what do u mean by easily adjustable end play reading ?
I'll order bug me 8 today. I've got three hours to watch j raby work a type 4.
We all adjust to 28* BTDC @ 3,200-3,400 rpm. I am not suggesting otherwise.

What I am suggesting is IF the original timing specification from the factory is 5* ATDC with the dual advance distributor, then the idle vacuum is always lousy and not to worry.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
energyturtle
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by energyturtle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:23 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:You have that video? I'd like to see it either way. If you want to part w it or lend it whatever. Sounds like a great way to feed my thirst for more Aircooled information.
You won't actually "mess" with crank, you just set its aft, and forth movement so it doesn't beat a main bearing to death and block an oil passage. If you have did a valve job, then pulling pistons and cylinders should be no worries. I forgot you had mentioned your engine code already, 1700cc correct? Your timing will be something ATDC...
Scottie

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:02 am

energyturtle wrote:
AZ Landshaper wrote:You have that video? I'd like to see it either way. If you want to part w it or lend it whatever. Sounds like a great way to feed my thirst for more Aircooled information.
You won't actually "mess" with crank, you just set its aft, and forth movement so it doesn't beat a main bearing to death and block an oil passage. If you have did a valve job, then pulling pistons and cylinders should be no worries. I forgot you had mentioned your engine code already, 1700cc correct? Your timing will be something ATDC...
Scottie
Oh man, I need to be more specific, specifically "IF and only if you have / had a vacuum retard unit on your actual engine's distributor, hooked up and functional, would 11 in vacuum be no cause for concern.

ATDC timing was only used on engines equipped with retard units.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
AZ Landshaper
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 am

I got a little excited. Motors out of the bus and on a stand but one nut in the exhaust is threatening me. I'm gonna bring in re-enforcements and see if we can't make two steps forward w/o one step back. Heat and a little percussive persuasion.

Post Reply