Whats w this motor?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Whats w this motor?

Post by AZ Landshaper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 am

80 Manual Trans Vanagon Westy w stock FI. and assumed 2.0 engine. Case is obv. not a vanagon case.
Been playing w my power issues. Compression in engine is 90, 112,125,115. Wet no 1 goes from 90 to 110.
Leak down test from 1 and 2 were identical and showed very little. Poss done incorrectly.
Starts and idles fine, Even drives OK (temps 350-380) but wont climb any grade without heads reaching 410 w/in 2 miles.
Ive searched the engine over for vac leaks and dont find any. Have had injectors flushed and throttle body rebuilt, S boot is a replacement w no holes, AAR is new as are most the hoses and the rubber elbow. Engine vacuum reads 10hg at idle. (10???)
Considering replacing both heads w AMC standard heads. Current heads are AVP but thats prob not important.
Looking for advice on this one.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: Whats w this motor?

Post by energyturtle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 am

What is the first two letters of the engine code? Hydraulic lifters or solid? Does the AFM still have the glue covering the wiper screw? Is your timing adjusted correctly at full advance? Are you running an SVDA distributor? Are your valves adjusted correctly?

Scottie

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 am

What energyturtle said . . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:32 am

WO engine code
Hydrolic valves adjusted
Timing at 28 WOT no points
Have an original vac dizzy that deff advances and holds suction at my tongue.
The silicone is off the AFM but engine idles at 13.5 and is right around there at 2k. No running loaded numbs avail
Temp 2 new and tested.

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 am

Hose was off the vac when timed

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:49 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote: Ive searched the engine over for vac leaks and dont find any. Have had injectors flushed and throttle body rebuilt, S boot is a replacement w no holes, AAR is new as are most the hoses and the rubber elbow. Engine vacuum reads 10hg at idle. (10???)
10" Hg is quite low, but idle vacuum can be affected by idle speed and timing. Understood that you've timed for maximum advance, but where does that end up putting your idle timing?
Considering replacing both heads w AMC standard heads. Current heads are AVP but thats prob not important.
Based on my own experience tearing down an AVP engine which dropped a valve seat after 25,000 km., I'd re-think that evaluation if I were you. :blackeye:

Just wanted to clarify your perceived problem. You say the engine runs well enough, but you're just concerned that the CHT is too high after climbing a gentle grade for 2 miles? This could be perfectly normal. The CHT tracks load quite well. Even a gentle grade introduces a significant load as you add potential energy to your vehicle. What speed are you climbing this grade? The faster the speed, the greater the load, since you're adding potential energy at a faster rate (not to mention the increased aerodynamic load).
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:31 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:WO engine code
Hydrolic valves adjusted
The silicone is off the AFM but engine idles at 13.5 and is right around there at 2k. No running loaded numbs avail
Temp 2 new and tested.
There is no WO code engine. There is a VO code that translates to a 914 Porsche 2.0. Timing should be set to 7.5 BTDC preliminary then the dwell adjusted at 44-50 at 4000RPM for full advance. What procedure did you follow on your valve adjustment? If the AFM has been tampered with it needs to be put back in spec somehow or adjusted to optimize performance. I would get the timing straightened out first and drive to check power and CHT.

Scottie

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:41 pm

energyturtle wrote:
Hydrolic valves adjusted
Temp 2 new and tested.
There is no WO code engine. There is a VO code that translates to a 914 Porsche 2.0. Timing should be set to 7.5 BTDC preliminary then the dwell adjusted at 44-50 at 4000RPM for full advance. What procedure did you follow on your valve adjustment? If the AFM has been tampered with it needs to be put back in spec somehow or adjusted to optimize performance. I would get the timing straightened out first and drive to check power and CHT.

Scottie
No, a VO is not a 914 2.0L case as they were GA, GB or GC.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
energyturtle wrote:
Hydrolic valves adjusted
Temp 2 new and tested.

Scottie
No, a VO is not a 914 2.0L case as they were GA, GB or GC.
A VO code is a Porsche 914 application, and is the 1700cc-1976 cc european variety. I also found that it is an industrial engine in its original build application.
Screenshot_2016-03-19-17-46-06.png

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Here is the industrial info as well. That would mean that this engine was possibly a solid lifter engine. The timing would change to 5 degrees BTDC static, and 27 degrees BTDC dynamic depending on the engine displacement.. The dwell would stay the same at 44-50. I'm very curious as well to the engine in question. It would have been a carburetor engine originally, correct?

Scottie
Screenshot_2016-03-19-17-46-30.png
:study:

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:00 pm

My bad. The engine is a W.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:35 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:My bad. The engine is a W.
Well, the best you can say with any certainty is that the case is from a W engine. Without knowing the details of the rest of the internals, the case number alone gives little to work with.

From turtle's information, the W engine was fitted to early 1700 914s. It would have come with solid lifters originally. Not sure if hydraulic lifters will work properly in that case (ie. will they get sufficient oil pressure?)
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:47 pm

SlowLane wrote:
AZ Landshaper wrote:My bad. The engine is a W.
Well, the best you can say with any certainty is that the case is from a W engine. Without knowing the details of the rest of the internals, the case number alone gives little to work with.

From turtle's information, the W engine was fitted to early 1700 914s. It would have come with solid lifters originally. Not sure if hydraulic lifters will work properly in that case (ie. will they get sufficient oil pressure?)
This is where I shall stop. It was solid lifter dual carbs, The only way to know for sure is to get it down to the short block and measure rods, and piston diameter, or read the stamp. If it's running decent, I would just get serious on tuning it to the best it can possibly be, and drive it. That's the big picture here. It would be good to know for sure, but I would tune it as if it's 1700cc based on the case and go from there. Good luck. I'll give you the tuning specs in a few.

Scottie

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:01 am

A W engine was in 914 and 411 and in the USA had Djet FI. In Europe the 411 had dual carbs while 914's Djet except for the 1800 Dual carb one. I have a W 914 case in storage, very strong case. All W engines were solid lifter with 90mm domed pistons for 8.2 to 1 CR.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:20 am

yup thats the skinny. was a 80 hp djet motor. As stated we know nothing else about this case other than its original displacement and car type. At this point it could still be a 1700 or it may have been cut to fit 2k or god only knows. Today everything on the motor is stock FI from a vanagon w exception of petronix mod and lacking EGR. Im not psyched about the compression at this point so I may just pull the motor and start looking for answers behind the tin.
Once the original factory setup has been removed and disturbed it would seem that the specs would be pretty useless. Its now fitted with vanagon equip and hydrolic valves so we are looking at a diff beast, Gonna name this one Caitlyn Jenner because lets face it folks, Bruce is gone and this vans not winning any more races. Beauty pageant anyone?