Cannot Adjust 2.0 T4 Valves

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Cannot Adjust 2.0 T4 Valves

Post by mentalQtip » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:14 pm

'77 fuel injected two liter bus with hydraulic valves

This engine certainly has had some drawbacks. Found it in a picknpull and sat in my garage for years.
I needed an engine and tried to put this one back in service. After new rings I scavenged two mismatched heads and had them rebuilt by a local builder. He said they were workable. I installed the heads andI couldn't get it to run and had it towed to this same vw garage and they couldn't get it to run much either. I got frustrated and brought it home.
Tristessa fooled with it and we got it running but it is difficult to start and runs weakly.
After being bummed about the situation I recently went back to basics, adjust the valves, where I found that I can't adjust them. Even with the adjustment screws backed all the way out the #1 exhaust, #2 intake, #3 intake, and #4 exhaust rocker arms are pressing on the valve stem. No clackety clack.
Did I waste my money on the heads or can I maybe use shims under the rocker arms?

Thanks

Joseph

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Cannot Adjust 2.0 T4 Valves

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:01 am

You could, but it screams bigger issues. Take the rocker arm off and give them a look for excessive protrusion. I would think the heights of the valve stems coming out of the heads should be uniform. If they are longer, it suggests a dropping valve. But since the heads are fresh, it's an ugly thought you tell yourself couldn't be the problem. From my experience, it could be. Don't rule it out. Spacers could work, but that's a wide range of valve geometry that shouldn't be there.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:40 am

look to see if they used the aluminum pushrods vs the shorter steel ones for a hydraulic cam. The aluminum ones are for solid lifters and longer!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 am

Mismatched pushrods could explain it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:16 am

ruckman101 wrote:Mismatched pushrods could explain it.

neal
As could mis-matched lifters.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Checked and the pushrods are steel and I don't know how the lifters would matter as long as they were all the hydraulic type. And no I didn't mix them up.
I've about come to the conclusion that these heads just aren't going to work and i need to search for another pair.

Joseph

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:45 am

mentalQtip wrote:Checked and the pushrods are steel and I don't know how the lifters would matter as long as they were all the hydraulic type. And no I didn't mix them up.
I've about come to the conclusion that these heads just aren't going to work and i need to search for another pair.

Joseph
Shim the b*tches and run the da*n thing. Why not? Have fun. Experiment! If they are ALL whacko, that is a good sign that it is merely architectural idiocy, not some dire recessed valves.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:Shim the b*tches and run the da*n thing.
That's pretty much what I told him the other night .. and apparently pretty much what his wife told him, too. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Ok, I scrounged and found washers that would fit all the way to the base of the studs and I adjusted them from no slack to 1 and 1/2 turns in. Started with difficulty but seemed to have a little more power than before. I've driven it several times now and it stays hard starting and doesn't really want to idle 'til warm. After idling awhile sometimes it just slows down and dies.

Joseph

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am

mentalQtip wrote:Ok, I scrounged and found washers that would fit all the way to the base of the studs and I adjusted them from no slack to 1 and 1/2 turns in. Started with difficulty but seemed to have a little more power than before. I've driven it several times now and it stays hard starting and doesn't really want to idle 'til warm. After idling awhile sometimes it just slows down and dies.

Joseph
That makes this an open inquiry of vast possibilities. Do your due diligence. If it is running poorly cold but better warm, check the mixture when cold. It is either too lean or too rich. Pull off the vacuum hose that leads to the fuel pressure regulator from the intake plenum. Does the idle improve? Too rich. Does it die, might be too lean.

What is the idle speed when warm? Is it less when cold? It should be more. It has to be, to paddle through the thick cold oil.
AAR is responsible for a sufficient cold idle speed. Etc.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Ok then. Fired it up and ran back to the engine and pulled the vacuum hose. Rpm quickly jumped to about 1800+. It held for a little while and then dropped down and would have died if I didn't replace the hose. With the hose on it tends to idle at about 650 or just slows even more and dies.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Next went to AAR. 30 ohms resistance and test light while running verified current to heating element.
Can I consider the AAR as checked clear?
Also while running I checked the AFM wiper and pushing CCW caused an increase in rpm. This was with the engine somewhat warmed up.
So pulling the vacuum hose off increased the rpm when cold, meaning the engine is running rich. Moving the AFM wiper CCW increased rpm suggesting a lean condition.
Right?

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm

mentalQtip wrote:Next went to AAR. 30 ohms resistance and test light while running verified current to heating element.
Can I consider the AAR as checked clear?
Umm, all you've done is confirm that the AAR heating element isn't open (as in open circuit, ie. infinite ohms).

You haven't checked that the AAR is open sufficiently when cold, or that it is closing up when warm. You'll need to pull it out of the vehicle to do that, or get creative with some inspection mirrors (removing the AAR will be simpler, and gives you the opportunity to inspect the pesky AAR elbow)
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:34 am

Note idle RPM when warm, shut off engine, remove and plug both ends of the AAR intake hose, restart engine and note RPM.

When cold, start engine with AAR intake hose blocked as above and electrical plug removed, and note idle RPM. Reconnect hoses, reconnect AAR plug, restart, and note idle RPM.

They should give extremely street readings on a yes/no condition of your AAR functionality. A true and proper test requires removing the unit and checking for open/close when cold/warm like SlowLane says. Here is a (greatly sped up) video of a Porsche AAR opening up over the course of 10 minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO6BFmDrdSE

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

weswsimpson
I'm New!

Post by weswsimpson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello,

I just disassembled a '77 and it had solid lifters.... which seems to be correct based on the engine number. Are you sure you have hydraulic lifters? Solid lifters would require a matching cam shaft and push rods--and a different method of valve adjustment. Maybe a PO or uninformed shop did a mis-match? Might be worth checking. I'm particularly interested as I have and '80 that I'm thinking of converting to solid lifters as I only plan to use the vanagon occasionally during the summer and don't want to go thru the issues I've had with bleeding the hydraulic lifters.