Valve cover gaskets -- how do you like to install 'em?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

And it happened again...

Post by JLT » Sun May 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Just the other day. As I mentioned, when I blew the valve cover gasket in January, I replaced it on the road, just setting the gasket in "dry." It lasted about 500 miles, and then blew again ... the same side of the engine, the same failure mode with the gasket slipping from the valve cover lip on the bottom, creating a gap that leaked oil.

The next day, I replaced both gaskets, gluing them in place with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. I hope that this will cure the problem (which may well have been my own ineptitude at installation, as Ainokea's post pointed out, although I must have replaced hundreds and hundreds of those suckers before on this and previous buses without this sort of failure). I guess we'll see when I mosey up to Maupin next month.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: And it happened again...

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 22, 2016 5:33 pm

JLT wrote:Just the other day. As I mentioned, when I blew the valve cover gasket in January, I replaced it on the road, just setting the gasket in "dry." It lasted about 500 miles, and then blew again ... the same side of the engine, the same failure mode with the gasket slipping from the valve cover lip on the bottom, creating a gap that leaked oil.

The next day, I replaced both gaskets, gluing them in place with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. I hope that this will cure the problem (which may well have been my own ineptitude at installation, as Ainokea's post pointed out, although I must have replaced hundreds and hundreds of those suckers before on this and previous buses without this sort of failure). I guess we'll see when I mosey up to Maupin next month.
The skinny profile gaskets are much squirmier than the proper width gaskets of yore. They are especially problematic with the AMC Type 4 super shiny head surfaces.
Colin
(say hello to all at Maupin, I am so sorry my schedule keeps burying me out here on the east coast)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Re: Valve cover gaskets -- how do you like to install 'em?

Post by Mulcheese » Mon May 30, 2016 5:22 am

Yup happened to me. I put new cork gaskets on last season and this spring I noticed a good oil drip from the cover. Looks like I am off the the parts store for some sealant.

Will the current gaskets be able to be sealed? Even if they are oil soaked? I have plans to order some with my next BD order but I would like to do something in the mean time so I dont leak all over.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon May 30, 2016 9:26 am

Mulcheese wrote: Will the current gaskets be able to be sealed? Even if they are oil soaked? I have plans to order some with my next BD order but I would like to do something in the mean time so I dont leak all over.
I doubt if you could get any sealer to stick to an already oil-soaked gasket (but you could try, I guess). Years ago, I took John Muir's advice to heart and never travel without a spare set. That has saved my butt twice in just this past year.

I suppose you could go down to your FLAP store and get a pair to tide you through. They may not fit the best, but they should hold until you get quality parts. And get some Indian Shellac or Aviation Form-A-Gasket while you're at it.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon May 30, 2016 2:04 pm

I just had a sudden oil leak spring up and you guessed it, it was a valve cover gasket. Mine appears to have stayed in position but finally 'snapped' from shrinkage.

This was likely installed for 1.5-2.5 years (it's been quite a while)

I actually tried a little indian head this time around after seeing it in this thread.
1979 California Transporter

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Mon May 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Guess what I found in my garage???? Yup, yoiu guessed it, new gaskets. Whenever I order something from Bus Depot I order a set of cork. I was sure I installed these last season. I looked in the rafters in my parts box today and nothing. Laying off to the side I noticed 2 pieces of cardboard taped together and sure as sh*t there they were. Now I remember, I had taken them down last year and I didnt install them because it was the end of the season and I knew I was going to do a valve adjustment this summer. Awesome!

I installed the leaky side with Indian Head and we will see how it holds. After the valve adjustment I will complete the other.

Leak be gone!

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Mulcheese wrote:
I installed the leaky side with Indian Head and we will see how it holds. After the valve adjustment I will complete the other.

Leak be gone!
And you ordered replacements right away, right?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon May 30, 2016 4:57 pm

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-High-Temp ... 4HTVC2.htm

Ive had this link saved for a long time now. I might give them a shot next time and see how they hold up.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:10 pm

airkooledchris wrote:http://shop.914rubber.com/914-High-Temp ... 4HTVC2.htm

Ive had this link saved for a long time now. I might give them a shot next time and see how they hold up.
I bet they work great. I use the Wolfsburg West Silicone gaskets now on all my drain plates for my type 1 engines. I was buying the "German" paper gasket sets with genuine copper washers. It didn't matter. The damn things still leaked. I switched over to the silicone and have had no leaks since.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Tue May 31, 2016 7:01 am

JLT wrote:
And you ordered replacements right away, right?
Done. I placed my BD order last night. I had to order my muffler that have been trying to source locally but was unable.

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 am

airkooledchris wrote:Image

I just had a sudden oil leak spring up and you guessed it, it was a valve cover gasket. Mine appears to have stayed in position but finally 'snapped' from shrinkage.

This was likely installed for 1.5-2.5 years (it's been quite a while)

I actually tried a little indian head this time around after seeing it in this thread.
So are you saying that you did not use Indian Head on this busted gasket?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue May 31, 2016 7:37 am

I did not use it on that one that snapped.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am

Permatex makes a non hardening gasket glue (basically gummy 3H) it does not get all brittle and is easier to remove.
Let me go in the garage and get the actual number:
Permtex 2 Form A Gasket Sealant
It is good stuff I love it.
I have witnessed at least 3 failed gaskets the past year or so due to non-glued! Glue those suckers it's worth it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 31, 2016 1:26 pm

Mulcheese wrote: Done. I placed my BD order last night. I had to order my muffler that have been trying to source locally but was unable.
FYI: Metric Auto Parts ( in St. Paul and St. Louis Park) stocks these (and lots of other great parts for old VWs). I try to give them my business whenever possible. Also...if you go to the St. Paul location, bring your kids: Zud likes to give out HotWheels cars (there's usually a good assortment of Porsches, VWs and BMWs) to kids that promise to help their dads! :sunny:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue May 31, 2016 4:29 pm

I've used Permatex 2 since the late '60's, and it's a great, quite tenacious product. You'll wear it on your fingers for a month afterwards. But I really prefer the Indian Head/heavy grease combo that Colin showed me. I just don't have leaks with that combo. Alcohol is good for cleaning the Permatex off hands and parts, and I don't mean a cold Presidente.