Vanagon Lower Tins

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Vanagon Lower Tins

Post by sped372 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:57 pm

I bought some replacement tins for the Vanagon since the ones that came on it were rusted through and missing two of the four mounting points each... I am assuming that a couple of the mounts utilize the exhaust studs on the heads, correct? If so, am I asking for trouble by simply removing the appropriate nut and then reclamping once the tins are in place? In other words, is it bad practice to not use new gaskets once the original crush has been relieved?

For some reason I think it will be ok since I'd only be 'declamping' one side of the flange and not actually moving anything, just releasing the clamp and reapplying. All that hardware is new within 1000 miles so now's the time to do it, I figure, before it all gets corroded.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vanagon Lower Tins

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:41 pm

sped372 wrote:I bought some replacement tins for the Vanagon since the ones that came on it were rusted through and missing two of the four mounting points each... I am assuming that a couple of the mounts utilize the exhaust studs on the heads, correct? If so, am I asking for trouble by simply removing the appropriate nut and then reclamping once the tins are in place? In other words, is it bad practice to not use new gaskets once the original crush has been relieved?

For some reason I think it will be ok since I'd only be 'declamping' one side of the flange and not actually moving anything, just releasing the clamp and reapplying. All that hardware is new within 1000 miles so now's the time to do it, I figure, before it all gets corroded.
It'll be fine. If this was a coolant sealing gasket, you'd have trouble, but an air sealing gasket won't care so long as you get back to torque.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Interesting. Why is that? Vanagon/coolant-specific or any wetted gasket?
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:04 am

sped372 wrote:Interesting. Why is that? Vanagon/coolant-specific or any wetted gasket?
Any liquid barrier. Think of coolant entering a combustion chamber or oil pan. Bad. Air cooled, no such problems.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Ooh, you mean during the clamp loss. Hypothetically, though, it would also reseal fine after if nothing moved?
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Was a bit confused at first, until I realized you were talking about a WATER-cooled Vanagon. I was pretty darn certain that none of the tins on my Vanagon bolted to the exhaust studs... :scratch:

So, wassers have lower "tins"? Whatever for?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 pm

SlowLane wrote:Was a bit confused at first, until I realized you were talking about a WATER-cooled Vanagon. I was pretty darn certain that none of the tins on my Vanagon bolted to the exhaust studs... :scratch:

Push rod tube protection. Do not underestimate the road debris strikes behind the rear tires.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:Was a bit confused at first, until I realized you were talking about a WATER-cooled Vanagon. I was pretty darn certain that none of the tins on my Vanagon bolted to the exhaust studs... :scratch:

Push rod tube protection. Do not underestimate the road debris strikes behind the rear tires.
Colin
I read a few opinions on TS stating they are unnecessary but I just knew that if I didn't put them in I'd regret it later, somehow, someplace very far from home. Anyway, got them in no sweat. Thanks for the tips.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:54 am

I saw a Type 3 pull into a car show once blowing smoke, and thought "wow he must have some horsepower to spin the wheels like that!" before I saw the puddle of oil trailing from his push rod tubes. No protection... :pale:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.