Clutch Assembly: What, if Anything, To Replace or Refresh?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Clutch Assembly: What, if Anything, To Replace or Refresh?

Post by whc03grady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Flywheel too.
Anything look weird here? Disk material above the rivets is a little greater than the 2mm minimum advised in Bentley.

This side is a little shiny.

Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Clutch Assembly: What, if Anything, To Replace or Refres

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:37 pm

From what I see, everything looks good. You should do the Colin cross hatch sanding on the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate.

How's the rear main seal/s?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:41 am

Yes, cross hatch sand the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces, dense cross hatch.

The clutch disk looks weird to me, like it has two discretely different lining formulations. The brown hue on the pressure plate side of the clutch disk I am familiar with, the flywheel side looks weird. Yet, there is that VW/Audi logo . . . how long have you had this clutch disk?

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:20 am

wcfvw69 wrote:From what I see, everything looks good. You should do the Colin cross hatch sanding on the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate.
Wut grit?
wcfvw69 wrote:How's the rear main seal/s?
Good enough that I'm not gonna screw with it/them. This is a slow-motion emergency engine-out that necessitates No Unnecessary Steps. (Sometime in a few years when we're all together I'll be in a place to talk about my and my family's comically absurd living situation of the last five months and counting.)
Amskeptic wrote:The clutch disk looks weird to me, like it has two discretely different lining formulations. The brown hue on the pressure plate side of the clutch disk I am familiar with, the flywheel side looks weird. Yet, there is that VW/Audi logo . . . how long have you had this clutch disk?

Colin
It looks weird to me too. It's been there since the engine went in, Independence Day 2011. The picture doesn't show it, but that side is slightly shiny as well. Replace?
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:27 am

I don't remember what grit Colin used on my brake drums but 100-200 grit sand paper would work for the cross hatch. I have a sanding pad adapter for my cordless drill. I used 100 grit on it when I cross hatched my flywheel last time. It worked perfectly.

That clutch disk looks like it has original VW stamps on it. If it was mine, I'd use it all day long. Maybe they just used different material on each side for some reason?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:58 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:I don't remember what grit Colin used on my brake drums but 100-200 grit sand paper would work for the cross hatch. I have a sanding pad adapter for my cordless drill. I used 100 grit on it when I cross hatched my flywheel last time. It worked perfectly.

That clutch disk looks like it has original VW stamps on it. If it was mine, I'd use it all day long. Maybe they just used different material on each side for some reason?
By all means use the clutch disk again. 180 is a good grit, 220 is fine.

I look forward to your comically administered tales of your comically absurd itinerant family life with comity.
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Clutch Assembly: What, if Anything, To Replace or Refresh?

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 am

So I am to sand, with a dense crosshatch using 180 or 220 grit sandpaper:
the flywheel
the pressure plate (both sides)
the clutch disk (both sides)
...?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:20 pm

whc03grady wrote:So I am to sand, with a dense crosshatch using 180 or 220 grit sandpaper:
the flywheel
the pressure plate (both sides)
the clutch disk (both sides)
...?
At the rate that you drive this conversation, we'll be getting your victory test drive post some time in 2023.

Meanwhile, you have several months now to yes, cross-hatch the flywheel friction surface and the pressure plate friction surface (it has only ONE side that contacts the clutch disk) and lightly scuff the clutch disk (both sides, nothing too aggressive here).

I'll come back to see if you have any new questions around May, sound good?
Colin :bom:

ainokea
I'm New!

Post by ainokea » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm

No mention of the pilot bearing. If nothing else, get some grease in there. Ainokea