Too Short Coil Lead & Alternate Coil Mounting Location Issue

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

slow.bus
I'm New!

Too Short Coil Lead & Alternate Coil Mounting Location Issue

Post by slow.bus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I installed a pertronix II set up a few weeks back (coil, wires, module) - but the main lead that came with it is too short for the normal / stock coil mounting location on the side of the engine bay.

To get around it, I installed the coil on bolt / screw that is in the rear left of the engine - above and left of the fan - its solid metal, not tin. I did not like this location (vibration and single mounting point) - but have seen others do it - so went for it.

About 1,500KM travels - no troubles, but today when driving back from camping ... coil bracket snapped (sheared off at the bolt / engine) and coil and wires were bouncing all around engine bay causing bucking issues.

Stopped, found obvious issue, freaked out a bit (coil could have fell down to where the fan is or pulled wires out of pertronix ... they were pulled REALLY tight), fixed ... all seems ok now

So, is this alternate mounting spot considered OK (can send pic if needed), and my snapped bracket was a just a freak accident ... or do I need to find a longer main lead, non-copper that will be long enough ... if so what is recommended ... other options?
1981 Westfalia
Dents & Dings, but no Rust

slow.bus
I'm New!

Re: Too Short Coil Lead & Alternate Coil Mounting Location I

Post by slow.bus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Here is pic - you can see broken bracket - mounting spot is the screw by the green tape ... upper left corner of pic
... (original coil in original spot as a back-up)
brcket.jpg
1981 Westfalia
Dents & Dings, but no Rust

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: Too Short Coil Lead & Alternate Coil Mounting Location I

Post by cegammel » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:48 pm

My coil was located in your green tape spot when I got the van, but I moved it to the top of the fan shroud due to my vibration concerns. It seemed to shake alot on those tins, and far less so on top of the fan shroud, about where the coil is lying in your photo.