Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 am

satchmo wrote:We can't tell how far down the intakes those nipples are, but they are worth a try since it is all you have. The volume of air movement will be restricted due to the size of the nipples (which are smaller than the hose size and will be the limiting factor), and you will just have to see how much benefit you get at the brake.

The reason the brake booster hose is so large in diameter is that it needs move a large (relatively) volume of air in addition to some level of vacuum.
Satch: they're pretty far down...really about as far as you could go. I plan to rig this deal up later this evening and hope to follow up with photos.

After this is all said and done, I am considering updating my avatar on the forum:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Engine number, yet? There is a reason I'm asking. Thanks.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Jivermo wrote:Engine number, yet? There is a reason I'm asking. Thanks.
...sorry looked at the top of the case and can't read the code, several of the latter numbers are obscured(i.e.: filled in) with paint. Is there a number I should be looking for? Feel free to PM me if there's more to the story, if you know what I mean...
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 pm

As promised earlier, some photos of the improvised brake booster manifold:

1982 Westy- Vana White

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Nice symmetry to the hoses. Should work. Let us know.

Do you have the engine running yet?
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:50 pm

OK, so everything is put together, connected, oil is in, fuel back in the tank...all ready to go...but she won't turn over.

I have juice to turn on the dash lights, door alarm and fuel pump, but the starter won't turn.

I'm pretty sure I have everything hooked up the way it was previously:

I've taken the wires on and off a few times, oriented them so they fit well...even cleaned some of the schmutz off of the connectors with a bit of carb cleaner...

...nothing: not a whir or a moan, not even a click!

The transmission ground strap is just as it's always been and looks "ok".

I turned the engine a bit to see if that would help...

...all to no avail.

I called it a night by putting the battery on the charger, thinking that maybe I don't have enough juice to turn the starter. I think the bus has been run for about 1.5 hours since September and the battery has been hooked up the whole time. Hope springs eternal for tomorrow morning, that a low battery will have been the culprit...

In the meanwhile, does anyone have any additional thoughts?

Thanks!
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Do you have a remote starter switch? You could bypass all electronics except the starter and solenoid this way.

I would turn over a new (to me) engine for oil pressure before firing it anyway. Especially if it was shipped without oil, it might be kind to the metallurgy to pressurize the system before the bearings bear the bare force of combustion. (Ok that last one was a stretch…)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Do you have a helper? If so, put a test light on the plug in wire on the starter. Have the helper turn the key like they are trying to start it. If you test light doesn't turn on then back track towards the ignitions switch. If it does light up then use a multi-meter to see how many volts your getting at that plug in wire. If that all checks out, then you need to suspect your starter. Maybe tap on it and the solenoid to see if something is stuck.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am

asiab3 wrote:Do you have a remote starter switch? You could bypass all electronics except the starter and solenoid this way.

I would turn over a new (to me) engine for oil pressure before firing it anyway. Especially if it was shipped without oil, it might be kind to the metallurgy to pressurize the system before the bearings bear the bare force of combustion. (Ok that last one was a stretch…)

Robbie
Thanks, Robbie! No I don't have a remote starter switch. I had planned to disable the coil so that I could "pump it up" first...if only I could figure out why the starter suddenly won't turn...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:55 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Do you have a helper? If so, put a test light on the plug in wire on the starter. Have the helper turn the key like they are trying to start it. If you test light doesn't turn on then back track towards the ignitions switch. If it does light up then use a multi-meter to see how many volts your getting at that plug in wire. If that all checks out, then you need to suspect your starter. Maybe tap on it and the solenoid to see if something is stuck.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I had neither a helper, nor do I have a test light. I will see if I can find both for this evening. I did give a few light hammer taps, which didn't achieve anything. Also, it wasn't the battery...charged over night and status quo this morning.

What I don't understand is how it could spontaneously stop working during a 3 month period of inactivity, when it worked perfectly well before???

...kind of a bummer, it is looking like we'll have to change plans and take a different vehicle and tents (yeesh) on vacation...

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 am

Ok, maybe I am tilting after windmills here, but I went back to look at pictures from the Ben Place website, which I use as my step-by-step instructions every time I drop my engine. I know the one he is showing is stock and has FI vs my carbs...

...but please tell me if I am onto something here. I think I might be missing a wire and/or have a spade disoriented

Here's the photo from Ben:

Here's my starter:

I have the 3 ring terminal wires on the correct pole (I think)... and the large red wire on the "lower horizontal" spade.

He has the 3 ring terminal wires on the same pole as I do...and the large red wire on the "upper vertical" spade and then a skinny "dark" (blue or black) wire on the "lower horizontal" spade.

Bundled with one of my other wires was a snapped off blue skinny wire. I assumed it was just a vestigial wire, as my Vanagon has a lot of those. Perhaps this is not the case?

...sorry for the general, non-technical terminology used above. I am not in front of my starter at the moment, nor do I have my Bentley handy for reference.

...any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:44 pm

When I saw your picture I thought you had the ignition (red/black stripe) wire on the wrong spade connector. You seem to have come to this conclusion in your last post. Switch that wire and you should be on your way.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 pm

lilpig88 wrote:When I saw your picture I thought you had the ignition (red/black stripe) wire on the wrong spade connector. You seem to have come to this conclusion in your last post. Switch that wire and you should be on your way.
I hope you're right! I have renewed enthusiasm for my evening. I'll try to post again tonight to confirm/dis-confirm.
...hoping it was something this simple/stupid.

Thanks for the input!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Huh. I've only ever seen them wired as you currently have them, but it appears your top right spade on the starter has a corrosion/wear pattern of being hooked up previously.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:47 pm

This is on my 1978 type 4 for reference.