Re-torque Heads

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Re-torque Heads

Post by Mulcheese » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:13 am

I went out to take a look at the oil leak that has become a mess on the underside of the engine. I originally thought that it was the tubes but now I am convinced that it is the heads (at the pistons) leaking down on the rest.

I would like to re-torque them. I can access the nuts in the valve cover no problem but what about the ones under the tin? I tried to remove some components to get a better look and it does not apppear that I will be able to do this with the engine in, or at least not easily done.

I have been considering a rebuild/refresh sometime in the future (1-2 yrs) but not any time soon. I dont want to drop the engine at this time so that is not an option for now.

Any reason the heads would leak? I believe that these have no gaskets, correct?

What would you do for the leak?
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Re-torque heads

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:21 am

Mulcheese wrote:I went out to take a look at the oil leak that has become a mess on the underside of the engine. I originally thought that it was the tubes but now I am convinced that it is the heads (at the pistons) leaking down on the rest.

I would like to re-torque them. I can access the nuts in the valve cover no problem but what about the ones under the tin? I tried to remove some components to get a better look and it does not apppear that I will be able to do this with the engine in, or at least not easily done.

I have been considering a rebuild/refresh sometime in the future (1-2 yrs) but not any time soon. I dont want to drop the engine at this time so that is not an option for now.

Any reason the heads would leak? I believe that these have no gaskets, correct?

What would you do for the leak?
Heads leak after extremely high operating temperatures and or time. All of that expansion and contraction will make the heads/sealing rings compress and not rebound. Retorque the heads upper and lower nuts, yes, strip down to the long block.
BUT
Oil leaks from head/cylinder mating surfaces suggests a worn engine. Just do the lower nuts if you are a not-any-time-soon kind of owner, and let the engine warm up more than usual before hammering the accelerator.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Re: Re-torque heads

Post by Mulcheese » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 am

I pulled the valve cover and checked the torque. All were good so it looks like I am due for a rebuild. That will have to be put off until next summer since I have the van all lined up for the repaint which will start sometime in the next couple of weeks. Time to clean off the underside and move on.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."