1600 engine swap

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mpls_ham
I'm New!

1600 engine swap

Post by mpls_ham » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi guys, new to IAC. I purchased a 70' Westy a couple of years ago and have been using it only for short cruises during the summer. I have not taken it on longer trips because my oil pressure drops making my oil light flicker at idle when she warms up. I suspect the engine is tired and needs to be rebuilt. This spring I purchased a rebuilt SP 1600 from a old feller who has a run down shop up in the hills hoping to swap engines and rebuild the old one at my leisure. This morning I pulled my old motor (after a 6 hour bumper removal) and found some differences.

The first one is the 3 holes where the moustache bar is bolted to the engine. My new motor has no bolt holes. Is there an adapter or am I SOL?

The heater box levers are lower (about 5") than the original. Is this fixable?

I have photos here: http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/mpls_ ... ine%20Swap

My mechanical skills are slim but I'm a quick learner :scratch:

I spend alot of time on the Samba lurking but I have a hard time parsing through the bad/good info. Any comments would be great.

Scott

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: 1600 engine swap

Post by SlowLane » Tue May 19, 2015 8:05 pm

mpls_ham wrote:The first one is the 3 holes where the moustache bar is bolted to the engine. My new motor has no bolt holes. Is there an adapter or am I SOL?
The bus engines had those mounting bosses cast into the case, but the beetle engines didn't. There is an adapter that bolts to the oil pump studs. Bus Depot has one here: http://www.busdepot.com/0091480

Oh, and welcome to the not-Samba.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 pm

You'll also need to replace your front tin, some people call it the rear tin but it's the verticle one that is on the flywheel side. The bus ones have a different curve along the top. Your current motor should have one to swap out.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Tue May 19, 2015 11:31 pm

mpls_ham wrote: . . . heater box levers . . .
Beetle HB levers are not only lower, but on the wrong side. Use your old HB's or get new, which are "universal" and can be fitted with either lever style.