fan shroud stud pulled out

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

fan shroud stud pulled out

Post by mentalQtip » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:25 pm

'77 fuel injected bus. While taking off the fan shroud the left lower stud just pulled right out. Hardly holding at all. So, I'm thinking of either try to cement it in or is this a case for one of those heliarc thingies and drill and tap a new set of threads? What think you guys?

Thanks

Joseph

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: fan shroud stud pulled out

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 pm

mentalQtip wrote:'77 fuel injected bus. While taking off the fan shroud the left lower stud just pulled right out. Hardly holding at all. So, I'm thinking of either try to cement it in or is this a case for one of those heliarc thingies and drill and tap a new set of threads? What think you guys?

Thanks

Joseph
Go straight to a step stud without using a helicoil. Drill the hole and tap unless the hole is gouged out just perfectly enough that you can straight on thread in the next size up. You can try a 9X8 or a 10X8 step stud used on exhaust ports most usually.
Because the fan housing is supporting the rapidly spinning alternator and exhaust system over there on the left side, you want this done right.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:37 pm

I went with a 10/8 because no place I went said they had an 9/8 stepstud. However it worked great and the shroud is firmly secure.

Thanks

Joseph

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:27 pm

mentalQtip wrote:I went with a 10/8 because no place I went said they had an 9/8 stepstud. However it worked great and the shroud is firmly secure.
Glad you got it; I've never heard of a 9/8 step stud, but most good* hardware stores stock a range of 10/8 studs.

Robbie

*not Home Depot or Lowes.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 am

asiab3 wrote:
mentalQtip wrote:I went with a 10/8 because no place I went said they had an 9/8 stepstud. However it worked great and the shroud is firmly secure.
Glad you got it; I've never heard of a 9/8 step stud, but most good* hardware stores stock a range of 10/8 studs.

Robbie

*not Home Depot or Lowes.
Some Type 4 engines had "first repair step" 9 X 8 exhaust studs, they are completely impossible to obtain, I have been told.
German Supply has the 10 x 8 repair studs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 am

Amskeptic wrote: Some Type 4 engines had "first repair step" 9 X 8 exhaust studs, they are completely impossible to obtain, I have been told.
I have put them on my list, joining the largest size T4 flywheel shims.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 am

With trepidation I drilled and tapped and threaded the 8/10 step stud in and damn, it holds securely. The shroud is mounted and the engine is installed. Yay!

Thanks

Joseph

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:15 am

Congrats! Now in a hundred years when the internet is connected to human brains, people will be politely discussing why the "factory" might have used an eight-ten stepped stud. :drunken:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.