Type 2 mufflers

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Type 2 mufflers

Post by asiab3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Just installed the NOS Liestritz from the ebay link.

Easily the best fitting exhaust product I've ever fit. It slipped in like it was actually made for it. I'm honestly in shock how bad the Ernst was in comparison. Shocked.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:59 pm

kreemoweet wrote:Those little connectors are not part of the muffler, they're separate parts. Part #113-255-165, "Connection Pipe", 2 needed.
By gum, you're right. I fished the old muffler out of the trash and gave it another go. This time, with liberal application of more Liquid Wrench, a pipe wrench, a ball-peen hammer, a drift, and much pounding and swearing, I was able to persuade those little collars to come loose. (Or, as Don Vito Corleone might put it, I "reasoned with them" and they saw the light.)

So boys and girls, those buggers will come out. No matter what they tell you.

And FWIW, I had no other fitment issues with the Bus Depot muffler, only the god-awful two-part clamps that have come with just about every stock muffler I've ever bought. It seems that after fifty years, somebody would have dreamt up something better.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 pm

After installing a new Dansk type1 bus exhaust I wanna go kill something. Nothing fit right.
Never mind those horrible 1 piece clamps I almost lost it.
7 hours to install exhaust and heat exchangers!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 am

hambone wrote:After installing a new Dansk type1 bus exhaust I wanna go kill something. Nothing fit right.
Never mind those horrible 1 piece clamps I almost lost it.
7 hours to install exhaust and heat exchangers!
I will write another hate mail. They did not answer my last one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 am

I took 8 hours last time I installed one. I "unwrapped" the 2/4 small heat exchangers and re-bent them into a shape that would sort-of fit.

Hambone, I would strongly suggest one of the NOS Leistritz mufflers at the link above now, I had mine on in under a half hour, but that was with the engine on the bench. I know you care for your buses, and I think there is value in the time saved.

I had about as much trouble with the one-piece clamps as the two-piece units. Different can of worms, but equally challenging.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks next time I will, assuming they still exist...
Those 1-piece clamps would work if the bolt was 1" longer. There is no way to "pre-load" the clamp for the shorter bolt, it just won't line up. I feel sick today from working so hard and frustrated.
Colin I need to start writing more letters. I wrote a long scathing one to Walgreens a couple months ago about vitamins with horrible ingredients. Never heard a peep back. Do these suppliers even give a shit? I think WW does, but the big mfrs? Doubtful.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Man that NOS one even LOOKS more accurate...
What a choice of careers....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 am

hambone wrote: Those 1-piece clamps would work if the bolt was 1" longer.
They utterly miss the point even if the bolts did start easily.

The exhaust sealing occurs when the fluted metal flange and the bevelled ring are compressed towards each other with the now stupid metal mesh gasket in the middle. This compression squishes the now stupid metal mesh against the slipped-in pipe. You have a prayer of a chance for three weeks of no monoxide poisoning of the two piece clamp manages to crush down and suck the bevelled ring towards the fluted flange.

The one piece clamp appears to mostly apply a circumferential pressure that does no drawing together and thus little compression against the slipped-in pipe. Time for welded tri-corner flanges like the late models,
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

The one piece clamp appears to mostly apply a circumferential pressure that does no drawing together and thus little compression against the slipped-in pipe.
I can attest to this. Now I have two carbon stains on my fresh exhaust setup.

But the kit says German! for 68-71 bus! and I believed them! :pukeright:
Time for welded tri-corner flanges like the late models,
Colin
There is a gentleman named Tiger in Orange County who does custom VW/Porsche muffler work, and he comes recommended by people I trust. I'll take my old heat exchangers and muffler to him for practice. If I like the work I'll take my current German exchangers and muffler to him for permanent work.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:53 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

The one piece clamp appears to mostly apply a circumferential pressure that does no drawing together and thus little compression against the slipped-in pipe.
I can attest to this. Now I have two carbon stains on my fresh exhaust setup.

But the kit says German! for 68-71 bus! and I believed them! :pukeright:
Time for welded tri-corner flanges like the late models,
Colin
There is a gentleman named Tiger in Orange County who does custom VW/Porsche muffler work, and he comes recommended by people I trust. I'll take my old heat exchangers and muffler to him for practice. If I like the work I'll take my current German exchangers and muffler to him for permanent work.

Robbie
And if I like it, I want it. Chloe's chronic exhaust leaks took out three of my four remaining neurons.
ColinIusetabesmart

old_biker
I'm New!

Post by old_biker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:57 pm

hambone wrote:Thanks next time I will, assuming they still exist...
Those 1-piece clamps would work if the bolt was 1" longer. There is no way to "pre-load" the clamp for the shorter bolt, it just won't line up. I feel sick today from working so hard and frustrated.
Colin I need to start writing more letters. I wrote a long scathing one to Walgreens a couple months ago about vitamins with horrible ingredients. Never heard a peep back. Do these suppliers even give a shit? I think WW does, but the big mfrs? Doubtful.
I wouldnt touch a vitamin for anything, you do realise the FDA does not regulate them.

my reasons go back to to aprox 1989, a friend that died & his death was entirely caused by using vitamins, he was so full of life & energy & used to hassle me about me being so sluggish in the mornings, he took vitamins for energy in the morning, & then at night to help him sleep, & had just about talked me into trying, & then he went on vacation, to never return to work & aprox 6 months later died, I think he was number 8 out of over 100 people that died taking a certain vitamin to help you sleep. "L-Tryptophan" he was taking a generic form, that was made from impure ingredients, that caused him to have (EMS) eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome http://www.drugs.com/mtm/l-tryptophan.html which caused his death.

so as I said no vitamins ever, I watched him wither up, & turn from a healty man to an invalid in a wheelchair nearly a skeleton, he was a 250+ lb man, & weighed under 100 when he passed away, & this was in 6 months while the doctors were trying to figure out what was wrong, he was one of the earliest cases to be diagnosed, & was a horrible way for anyone to die.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am

old_biker wrote:
hambone wrote:Thanks next time I will, assuming they still exist...
I wouldnt touch a vitamin for anything, you do realise the FDA does not regulate them.

my reasons go back to to aprox 1989, a friend that died & his death was entirely caused by using vitamins, he was so full of life & energy & used to hassle me about me being so sluggish in the mornings, he took vitamins for energy in the morning, & then at night to help him sleep, & had just about talked me into trying, & then he went on vacation, to never return to work & aprox 6 months later died, I think he was number 8 out of over 100 people that died taking a certain vitamin to help you sleep. "L-Tryptophan" he was taking a generic form, that was made from impure ingredients, that caused him to have (EMS) eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome http://www.drugs.com/mtm/l-tryptophan.html which caused his death.

so as I said no vitamins ever, I watched him wither up, & turn from a healty man to an invalid in a wheelchair nearly a skeleton, he was a 250+ lb man, & weighed under 100 when he passed away, & this was in 6 months while the doctors were trying to figure out what was wrong, he was one of the earliest cases to be diagnosed, & was a horrible way for anyone to die.
Marketing. Is. Insidious.

Volkswagens. Suffer. From. Marketing.

Colin
[ p.s. an international study of serial killers discovered psychotropic medications in 40% of the killers, sleep aids and anti-psychotics at the top of the list - side effects (listed iin very fine print to absolve the pharmaceutical companies of liability) include "disturbed thinking, suicidal ideation, etc. - now back to our regularly scheduled programming ]

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote: The one piece clamp appears to mostly apply a circumferential pressure that does no drawing together and thus little compression against the slipped-in pipe.
I forgot I installed NOS asbestos donuts with the new engine, and look-y here! The single-piece clamps cracked them apart while leaking out fumes. Each donut has three or four cracks, but I've pointed out the worst one.

Colin, my heat exchanger pipes that go into the muffler are not perfectly smooth; do you still have the pictures/procedure of your Diet Coke can wrap? Did it work to create a better seal with the donut ID?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:53 am

asiab3 wrote:
Colin, my heat exchanger pipes that go into the muffler are not perfectly smooth; do you still have the pictures/procedure of your Diet Coke can wrap? Did it work to create a better seal with the donut ID?
Skip the Diet Coke can hack. How snug are the donut inner circumpheri as they slip down the exhaust pipes? What a shame that they failed so readily . . . are those Dansk exchangers with the too-small pipes?

In the Old Days When All Was Well With Volkswagen parts, the asbestos donuts gripped the pipes, you literally had to tap the muffler on to drive them down the pipes. Nowadays, they seem to hulahoop slippity sloppily onto the pipes. In this case, buy the two piece clamps and use the wire mesh gaskets. Slather the wire mesh gaskets with Ultracopper RTV, really work it in. Make smooth and allow to cure overnight against the instructions to "assemble immediately". Then, next morning, apply the assembly layer of Ultra-Copper rtv onto the donuts and the pipes where the donuts will land. Install the compression rings (damn them! damn them for being so cheap!) then the gooped donut only about a 1/4" onto the pipe. *Make a dam* of Ultra-Copper where the muffler is going to meet up with the donuts. Both sides! Quick! Get muffler onto the #2#4 studs, zing down the 13mm nuts and go get the exchanger clamps on and snugged.
7 ft/lbs is max tightening on the two piece clamps. You *must* babysit these nuts for the next several days and keep them snug. They will loosen as the wire mesh/rtv develops a set. If you get burn through, you will never achieve exhaust seal, so stay on top of them. Mine are thankfully . . quiescent after six or so re-do's.
You want this squared away, I most certainly have suffered brain damage from monoxide.
Colin
( p.s. I found it far easier to remove the exchangers when re-doing the exhaust donuts/clamps, leaving the muffler in place, so make sure you have a supply of metal gaskets for the exhaust ports)

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:33 am

P.S. no Dansk exhaust leaks here.. Clamping the hell out of the clamps seems to do the trick although some frown at this procedure. No RTV.
I used the stock wirey rings. They seem to be impregnated with some hard goop nowadays, maybe it melts into place.