Dropped valve on type 4 with pics.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: Dropped valve on type 4 with pics.

Post by energyturtle » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:11 am

:study: :study: Perfect...... I will post some more pics this weekend..Its a flthy mess, I love it. Colin this is gonna be fun. I love saving bays, but I love heart surgery. This is s runner........ :study: :thumbleft:

Scottie

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:27 am

I have taken the pistons and cylinders off. I got my trusty flexi-LED light out and went in the case with a mirror to have a look around. The cam looks like shit. Literally dark brown and oil baked, with some less than acceptable lobes. The lifters looked great because they have been worn flat as Colin feared. I feel that the case must be split at this point. I really don't want to, but with a non-salvageable head, questionable camshaft, and absolutely filthy exterior, I feel I have no choice but to do the right thing. For the record, this could still be a budget build that WOULD RUN to some degree. My faith in the stock type 4 power plant is unshakeable. This engine will get a full second life of many miles in its future, pushing a 1973 adventurewagen down the interstate with my retired parents in the cab, doing what they should have for the last 20 years. As the son of a blue collared carpenter, vietnam vet marine, and a industrial seamstress turned big box retail manager. This is what I must do.....everyone involved will get one last ride on the roads of Southeastern America and beyond, with a worthy type 4 pushing them along. Here are some pics of work in progress, along with myself and the first bus I ever bought in 1998 in the background. What I wouldn't give to have that one back. It is the reason for my mission to save every bus I can get my hands on. I sold it in 2000 to a kid that gutted it, black lighted the interior, put in theater seats, and spray painted skulls on the outside. It eventually got scrapped and crushed for pill money.
Scottie

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:00 am

energyturtle wrote: This engine will get a full second life of many miles in its future, pushing a 1973 adventurewagen down the interstate with my retired parents in the cab, doing what they should have for the last 20 years. As the son of a blue collared carpenter, vietnam vet marine, and a industrial seamstress turned big box retail manager. This is what I must do.....everyone involved will get one last ride on the roads of Southeastern America and beyond, with a worthy type 4 pushing them along.
Scottie
Yes! You're a good son, I always knew you were a good boy . . .
Grandma
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles