Exhaust leak

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Exhaust leak

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm

So I've heard an exhaust leak can contribute to deceleration pops, and I know I have one on Bertha Bus, and was prepared to deal with it today, but it turns out to be more than just a leaking clamp.

A hole in the pipe there. Suggestions? When I bent one of the pea-shooter pipes on Gretchen Ghia, I bent it back and patched the connection with a type of cement for exhausts. Figured I would try the same stuff on this, taking off the clamp and generously applying before re-clamping.

How have others dealt with this sort of thing before committing to a new exhaust system?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Exhaust leak

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:24 am

I have used the exhaust pipe cement when re-shaping the kidney-pod-heat-exchangers, you know, the small heat exchangers for the #s 2 and 4 manifolds? The cement has held up very well there, but I haven't used it on any hotter surfaces. I might sand clean and use it on the inside and outside of your hole. I imagine the rest of the pipe is thin as well, and I'd personally want to look inside to see if there is enough metal to warrant saving the muffler.

Of course, this would also be a good time to just weld flanges to the heat exchangers and muffler to prevent the shite donut gaskets from making you see in monochrome when the heater is on…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.