sealant use for gaskets?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

sealant use for gaskets?

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:03 pm

should I install these gaskets dry or with some sort of sealant?

the PO of my bus had red RTV on *everything* , including these two, but is that really necessary?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: sealant use for gaskets?

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:57 pm

airkooledchris wrote: should I install these (oil filter mount and oil filler pipe flange- ed) gaskets dry or with some sort of sealant?
Use a light but thorough coat of Permatex Aviation on both. The oil filter mount gasket is uber-critical that you have clean flat flanges and do a solid proper job of torquing to 13 ft/lbs (is that what they call for?).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote: should I install these (oil filter mount and oil filler pipe flange- ed) gaskets dry or with some sort of sealant?
Use a light but thorough coat of Permatex Aviation on both. The oil filter mount gasket is uber-critical that you have clean flat flanges and do a solid proper job of torquing to 13 ft/lbs (is that what they call for?).
Colin

I was in the garage late last night joking with the wife that "Colin would probably take a razor blade to this surface for the next 30 minutes, just to make sure it was as smooth/flat as possible." (she had enquired if you had started the journey yet, so I had my 'in' to ramble about "bus stuff" for a bit.) =)

Thank you. I had been considering blue Hylomar, but ill see about some Permatex Aviation.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

What Colin said. I like Curil on metal-metal contacts, Permatex on oil-sealing metal-gasket-metal surfaces, Dirko or Reinz on coolant seals (waterboxers) and blue/red on nada. JMHO
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 pm

DjEep wrote:What Colin said. I like Curil on metal-metal contacts, Permatex on oil-sealing metal-gasket-metal surfaces, Dirko or Reinz on coolant seals (waterboxers) and blue/red on nada. JMHO
We tried some blue Hylomar on the nose cone, it is annoying to work with. It would lift off onto my finger like rubber cement. We did Permatex Aviation on the differential-transmission seal. When I find something better than Permatex Aviation on proper German machining, I'll report it.
Colin
(edited!)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 pm

The blue stuff we used was Hylomar, not Curil. Im not sure what Curil looks/works like...

I have Permatex Aviation on order currently, should be here Thursday. Looking forward to moving the needle some more in the coming weeks.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Curil is a tan or green paste. The tan stuff is gloopier, comes in a little jar with a brush like kindergarten paste, and dries semi-hard. I like it for cam plugs too. The green is a little more like toothpaste, coming in a squeeze tube, more viscous, but stays gummy once cured. It's what the factory specified back in the day. Both squeeze much flatter than silicone-type sealants, and don't dry rock hard like permatex, making future surface cleans easier. Just don't get it on your hands, both are damn near impossible to wash off, not even with gasoline, and cause my hands to kinda scale up.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:01 pm

DjEep wrote:Curil is a tan or green paste. damn near impossible to wash off, not even with gasoline, and cause my hands to kinda scale up.
Sure. I drive 7,998 miles to visit you and you are off partying on some grand prairie while I work and I work to get a '65 bus to start and idle cold . . . :cherry:

Have you tried a nice spritz of GumOut carb spray to wipe off Curil?
ColinSeeYaNextTimeThrough