type 4 cooling flaps

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

type 4 cooling flaps

Post by mentalQtip » Thu May 15, 2014 2:56 pm

'77 bus, two liter, with hydraulic valves, replacing carbs with fuel injection.
Trying to fit flaps to fan shroud and the right flap seems to extend to far to the right and runs into the little casting bump on the upper right front of the shroud. The left end seems to fit perfectly. I've been told to just cut off the casting bump but that just seems wrong. Are some flaps and rod longer than others? Don't really remember where I got the flap and rod.

Joseph

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: type 4 cooling flaps

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 16, 2014 10:00 pm

mentalQtip wrote:'77 bus, two liter, with hydraulic valves, replacing carbs with fuel injection.
Trying to fit flaps to fan shroud and the right flap seems to extend to far to the right and runs into the little casting bump on the upper right front of the shroud. The left end seems to fit perfectly. I've been told to just cut off the casting bump but that just seems wrong. Are some flaps and rod longer than others? Don't really remember where I got the flap and rod.

Joseph
There is a locator in the cross shaft that must engage the plastic bushing, which in turn must be located by the lugs also cast into the shroud. The right flap is designed not to close all the way. The thermostat must have some air to know when to open.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles