Quality engine stand for VW engine work.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Quality engine stand for VW engine work.

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 4:40 am

I scanned the forums, and could find no recommendations for free standing (not a table mount) engine stands for VW motors. Does anyone recommend a stand that they consider good quality, and provides easy access for working on the engine?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Quality engine stand for VW engine work.

Post by airkooledchris » Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 am

I have one made by AC Delco, rated at 1/2 ton, but most folks just pick up whatever. Id suggest getting one with the 4 'legs' and not those 3 legged things, as they seem like they could be a little tipsy. (though people use them on a regular basis)

The key is getting the nice VW arm to mount to it. This is the one I have:
1979 California Transporter

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks, AKC. Just sent an email to this guy. He has some other interesting tools, as well.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm

I have used the 3 legged one from harbor freight for all my work without the vw arm adapter yolk with no problems.(And yes it will hold a fully dressed type 4, no problem). I am probably going to catch some S$#t for weight distribution, not correctly supported, etc. It worked and worked well. I wheeled it around, rotated it fully dressed 180 degrees upside down to put on exhaust. My friend and I took it off the stand fully dressed with the removal of 2 nuts. All for 45.00 bucks. =D>
Scottie

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Looks good. How does the holder bolt pattern line up? Do you need to make any modifications?

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon May 12, 2014 2:06 pm

No. Straight out of the box and bolted it up to the case halve that has all the dowels. It takes a second to get the arms bolted down where they are most secure and effective, but after that plug and play.
Scottie

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon May 12, 2014 2:13 pm

You can see from the top pic how it bolts up to the arms. You have to use the one transmission stud on the case that mounts to the bell housing on one arm, and a good, strong bolt and nut on the other arm. The key is to get it bolted up good and tight with no washers where the arms meet the case. I have another one on the stand for build right now. I can take more pics of the mounting if you want.
Scottie

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm

1000 Lb. Engine Stand
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69886
Thanks, Scottie...is this the model number of the one you bought?

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon May 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Yep. That's the one. The yolk (yoke-ed) airkooledchris was talking about will slide right in. I like the yolk (yoke-ed), but I am poor:( Look for the coupon in harbor freight circular. It is like 50% off one item or something. Bring it down to 30.00 or so. Good luck. PM me if you need anything for your build, as I have a good stash of type 4 stuff. Crank, cam, rods etc.
Scottie

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks, Scottie. You've beamed me up. Love this forum.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

When Captain Kirk sees this advice I'm gonna get scrubbing deck duty on our Enterprise. :pale: If you want the yolk check out kokoparts on Ebay, 60.00 for the yolk with warranty.
Scottie

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 12, 2014 6:58 pm

I understand completely. Spock would, of course, respect your logic.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I ended up taking the advice provided in this thread, and got a very nice VW dedicated engine stand for about 175.00. I bought the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh stand, and also bought the special yolk recommended. The yolk had no positioning holes in the tube, so I took it and the HF engine holder over to my local machine shop. They drilled it, using the HF piece for the pattern. It's a real solid deal, and I like the sound the little metal wheels make as I run it around the concrete floor of my barn.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Jivermo wrote:The yolk had no positioning holes in the tube,
I never met an egg that did. I assume you meant y-o-k-e.

yoke1 [yohk] Show IPA
noun, plural yokes for 1, 3–20, yoke for 2.
a device for joining together a pair of draft animals, especially oxen, usually consisting of a crosspiece with two bow-shaped pieces, each enclosing the head of an animal. Compare harness ( def 1 ) .
a pair of draft animals fastened together by a yoke: five yoke of oxen.
something resembling a yoke or a bow of a yoke in form or use.
a frame fitting the neck and shoulders of a person, for carrying a pair of buckets or the like, one at each end.
an agency of oppression, subjection, servitude, etc.

I am an agency for oppression,
ColinItinerantSchoolMarm
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 am

What can I say? I own no draft animals, and I like hardboiled eggs? I'll go hitch up the team, and drag out the whipping post. As a known advocate of correct English, I am appalled. Thank goodness that very few of my friends read The Itinerant. I would never hear the end...