79 VW Bus

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: Stranded campingbus dies at under load at moderate thro

Post by Boxcar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

5.1 RCH's @ .003" ea. or what esteemed Randy From Maine wrote
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 pm

I adjusted points and now the bus won't start at all. That being said there is no spark at all. I checked time statically and the light won't go off while cranking. It only goes bright then dim then bright then dim. So at this point I'm thinking coil. But I'm frustrated as hell. I'm calling it a day. I will resume next weekend:(

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Adjusted points again. Pulled all the plugs to let dry and air out cylinders. Put all back together it runs again, but still cutting out to bad to be considered driveable. I ordered a new fuel pump and will be looking into clogged lines (por 15 delaminating), fuel starvation seems to be the culprit. Thanks again everyone.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:56 am

energyturtle wrote:Adjusted points again. Pulled all the plugs to let dry and air out cylinders. Put all back together it runs again, but still cutting out to bad to be considered driveable. I ordered a new fuel pump and will be looking into clogged lines (por 15 delaminating), fuel starvation seems to be the culprit. Thanks again everyone.
You need a quick pass-through visit on May 6th at 11:00AM?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 am

I am.getting my parts list together to bring energy turtle home this weekend. What do I need to bring to address the fuel pump cutting on in the acc. Position? Also can I mount a by pass gas tank to work around the original delaminating the por 15 sealer?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:01 am

energyturtle wrote:I am.getting my parts list together to bring energy turtle home this weekend. What do I need to bring to address the fuel pump cutting on in the acc. Position? Also can I mount a by pass gas tank to work around the original delaminating the por 15 sealer?
There is no "accessory position". If you need to keep the steering wheel unlocked, keeping the key in the ignition in the "off" position will work.

If the pump runs with the ignition on, there is a little adjustment in the AFM to kill the pump, read my AFM article (Fuel Delivery Forum) and look for fuel pump contacts.

You are the second POR 15 gas tank delamination I have read of. PM RandyInMaine and ask him how he resolved it. If you have a delaminating gas tank, there is little we can do until it is resolved. Is this the root cause of your running issues?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:10 am

I think so. I'm going to verify this weeked. I have an access hole cut above my tank, so verification is pretty easy. I hope it is something else. My fuel pimp has gotten louder and louder. At this point I'm giving an educated guess?

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:12 am

Energy turtle is home and drove 100 trouble free miles. Diagnosis clogged fuel filter with bugs as in insects. When I relined the tank I let it sit for 6mths wide open to cure. Something took up residence inside. The bus idles high as hell now that its getting fuel:) Colin I will see u soon for a proper tuning. Thanks everyone. Por 15 sealer is holding up great no worries.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:25 pm

I love the cheap fix that fixes the problem..

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Inspect everything going to and leaving from the S boot first and the S boot for cracks second.

79 VW Bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:35 pm

energyturtle wrote:Energy turtle is home and drove 100 trouble free miles. Diagnosis clogged fuel filter with bugs as in insects. When I relined the tank I let it sit for 6mths wide open to cure. Something took up residence inside. The bus idles high as hell now that its getting fuel:) Colin I will see u soon for a proper tuning. Thanks everyone. Por 15 sealer is holding up great no worries.

This is too funny!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/