odd location for oil leak source?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

odd location for oil leak source?

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 am

What looked like a leak from the main seal is actually leaking from this side of this case bolt.

Using UV dye to track leak sources down is a nice way to take out some of the guesswork.

Looks like my oil filter mount is also a source:

It was hard to get a good angle on the oil cooler, but when you look at it with the UV light it appears to be weeping from a number of locations:

Most of it's pretty obvious on how to fix, but that case bolt - can simply re-torqing that fix it?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: odd location for oil leak source?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 pm

airkooledchris wrote: Most of it's pretty obvious on how to fix, but that case bolt - can simply re-torqing that fix it?
I say clean everything, dry, carb spray the works. Dry. Then start and lay down under the engine and watch for the exact source points. When you see you favorite assumption about to get verified, get that light above the case nut. When you see the oil filter mount begin to do its alleged leak, get above above above the flange and look for a true source that is
a) up higher
b) up wind.

If you have categorically nailed down the case nut, remove it entirely once the engine is stone cold. Clean clean the area and especially the threads and the surface of the case. Use your favorite case sealant on the threads, the washer, and the nut surface. Torque to 14 ft/lbs. If you can't get a torque wrench in there, go clean and torque any other 13 you can reach to 14 ft/lbs, and bring your wrench-twist-body memory over to this one.

Oil cooler? Along seams?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:When you see the oil filter mount begin to do its alleged leak, get above above above the flange and look for a true source that is
a) up higher
b) up wind.

Is this to say you don't believe the oil filter mount to be a potential source?

Running it again isn't an option. The motor and trans are both pulled and in various stages of disassembly already.

When I pulled the oil filter mount, there did appear to be a gasket underneath - but it was barely visible on either the case or the mount along the right side where the leak *seemed* to be coming from.

Im hoping those gaskets are still available, as the one that came off had a VW stamp on it (the only visible marking) so it may not have been changed since new and through however many rebuilds since then. Even if that wasn't a source, it will be one now if I don't replace that gasket properly. oops.

It isn't the oil pressure switch, but that's all I can be sure of now. That's the only thing higher up in this area that would contribute to it looking this way? (I say as a statement of fact, while also questioning it as fact.) :P

Oil cooler? Along seams?
Colin
No?

That drivers side heater box has been picking up a good amount of oil from something over on this side. As it stands im going to replace the oil cooler (may as well, I have a new VWAG one to use), the oil filter mount gasket and the pushrod tube seals. Hopefully one of those was the cause for the oil on that side and it'll be nice and dry when it's all said and done.

Thank you for the tips on addressing that case bolt. The long bolts that hold the heads to the cylinders/case also appear to be coated in oil. You can't really do the same to those can you? Is simply re-torqing those the best approach? (I can get better pictures uploaded shortly, now that I have better access to everything top/bottom.)
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm

airkooledchris wrote: you don't believe the oil filter mount to be a potential source?
No, it is a rich source of leaks . . . but never make fast conclusions . . . ; )
airkooledchris wrote: Im hoping those gaskets are still available,
They are, in your $89.99 engine overhaul gasket kit
airkooledchris wrote: As it stands im going to replace the oil cooler (may as well, I have a new VWAG one to use), the oil filter mount gasket and the pushrod tube seals. Hopefully one of those was the cause for the oil on that side and it'll be nice and dry when it's all said and done.
Save the old cooler and have it pressure tested.
airkooledchris wrote:The long bolts that hold the heads to the cylinders/case also appear to be coated in oil. You can't really do the same to those can you?
Nope. They do enter the case, however, and I do use thread sealant on them when I install them. Torquing the studs doesn't even happen. You merely install them to the correct depth. Later, when the heads are installed, you torque the head nuts and that pulls the studs in the case to a facsimile of "installed torque".
Colin54*InFL?I'mOutraged
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles