Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:25 am

Any update on Mr. Herrnkind's transport?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am

Jivermo wrote:Any update on Mr. Herrnkind's transport?
Not from me. We have this alleged winter storm brewing that is making me reconsider my travel path.
Mr. Hernnkind? Any news?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 am

still down with the bad weather not really wanting to drive it in this stuff I have been taking my time to go through the whole thing. I pulled the engine and trans again. Just finished the transmission overhaul that was suggested on Richard Atwell's page. Cleaned the whole thing up. new boots for the CV joints cleaned repacked with grease. wanted to fix the end play on the engine so I tore into that and cleaned it up nice. new seals all the way around fond some that were not even there. the O ring on the fan shroud and felt seal on the fly wheel. The O ring on the fly wheel was in bad shape so that has been replaced along with the two main seals. oil cooler seals replaced. new oil pressure switch, new temp sensor, all new vacuum lines as per Richard atwells site, new clutch and pressure plate, new rear wheel cylinder, new ball joints, new FI wiring harness, new battery cable, new alternator harness, new starter. all boots and grommets have been replaced. I have done a lot of work on this since I started this thread. I have also thrown out the fear of working on this vehicle and putting it in the hands of other people. I know so much more about this than I could have imagined and that is a good thing. I have found all the extra work I could and have been living on next to nothing to get to this point. I still have things I want to do and by the end of next week I am hoping to be able to put the engine and transmission back in the vehicle. I am going on the road in may and plan on traveling for the next few years so the more I can do now and the less I have to worry about the better. By doing this work and educating myself as much as possible I hope I may be able to troubleshoot any problems that arise while I am on the road. If I get this back together and it still does not run I don't know what I will do. I am hoping for the best and thinking positive.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:23 am

Right on! What terrific news. All the best to you in your efforts.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:28 pm

herrnkind wrote:I am hoping for the best and thinking positive.
If you have a running engine, get me up there for some Intensive Dynamic Education.
ColinInNYtilFeb23
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 pm

will do I am hoping for the best. I will keep you posted.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18 am

From what I'm reading, wielding a wrench up there right now will be a challenge. Years ago, I knew a man who had worked on Miami Beach hotel construction in the pre-1926 hurricane glory days. He told me that they had to keep their metal tools in a bucket of water-otherwise they got so hot in the burning sun that you could not pick them up. Maybe you can get a bucket of HOT water to keep the tools in while working! Good luck!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am

herrnkind wrote:will do I am hoping for the best. I will keep you posted.

=D> :cheers:
1979 California Transporter

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I saw Colin's visit is done. Hoping for an update soon. The suspense is killing me. With pictures please.

Scottie

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:26 pm

=D> I read Colin's recent post of 2014.(on the itinerary thread?)

Thought:Awesome effort from Colin and HK.

Just read THIS thread which has Colin's vision of teaching, AND critical mass Mechanic development in Herrnkind. (the journey BEFORE he hits the road)Its a SAGA!
Respect to Ratwell who's site also led deep into details, where either God or the Devil dwells..yes thats an inspiring work, no ?

Inspirational also are you all who helped bolster a guy ready to dig deep to make his vision a reality.

I had some AVP heads for a while in developing my bus engine...They kept me rolling while I sought funds, and sorted transmission woes,bought time.
Yes sure,MERE buyer/user beware.

As a Mechanic though have no fear of diving in and correcting details. Get odds in home team favor. All responsibility possible on"MY"shoulders. (the universal Mechanic in all of us)
In this thread the thrill was seeing Herrnkind get THERE. Hats off to you all =D>
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler