Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Here is a sketch of what colin just described......

Your parts from here will show up Tuesday via UPS. I found a new engine to body seal, some stainless hardware (for mounting the heaterboxes to the heads, some anti-sieze (use just a dab), a thermostat including the cable with the mountings, 2 injectors, and some hose clamps. I was able to come up with a set of 78 heaterboxes and the exhaust system (thank the "foxmon"), but no gaskets to go with it. Some of the tinwork, but not the heat exhanger to cooling shroud little coverplates. Those are kind of hard to come by and I did not have a spare set. I also put in some "oil sorbent pads" that may be of some assistance.

Hopefully that will help get you going. You are going to need to get that excessive endplay under control though. That would be pretty high on my priority list.
79 VW Bus

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:17 pm

From now on I shall refer to you as: "Awesome in Maine" or possibly "Sir Randall du Maine".

Nice helping hand there, Sir Randall.

ML

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Nice! plus it helps clean out the garage by getting parts to the "Needy"! (I have too many 914 and Ghia parts to even find the bus parts in my stash of parts)
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I am not doing anything any of you guys would not do.

Herrnkind just needs a break as many of us have needed in the past. I have been there.

I just don't have a lot of 75-78 parts in my extra parts stash.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 am

Randy in Maine wrote:I am not doing anything any of you guys would not do.

Herrnkind just needs a break as many of us have needed in the past. I have been there.

I just don't have a lot of 75-78 parts in my extra parts stash.
Randy? Make it stop raining, I need a break from these trucks blinding me with spray.
Thanking you in advance,
ColinCentralPA
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:CentralPA
That right there's your problem. Sunny and 75 tomorrow, and I need to fix the shifter. If you were here, it'd be yakiniku (that's the grilled beef with vegetables wife-chan makes) and a lazy Sunday day fixing niggling issues in warm weather, deep sun, blue sky and a light breeze.

Come on back, y'hear?

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 am

Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:CentralPA
That right there's your problem. Sunny and 75 tomorrow, and I need to fix the shifter. If you were here, it'd be yakiniku (that's the grilled beef with vegetables wife-chan makes) and a lazy Sunday day fixing niggling issues in warm weather, deep sun, blue sky and a light breeze.

Come on back, y'hear?

ML
No fair.
ColinRainRAINRain

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:21 am

any new updates on the engine? i've been following this thread from the beginning waiting for a good ending.
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am

drozdenko wrote:any new updates on the engine? i've been following this thread from the beginning waiting for a good ending.
Me too! Need questions! Observations! Victory Dances!
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Third that! I hope he didn't drown in the garage...

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 am

OK so here is the update I didn't have much going on in the past few days. checking, rechecking, and triple checking my work. today I finally put the last of everything I needed together. this is what happens:
1) wants to start and turns over but stalls out.
2) coil is getting hot/warm don't know if that is normal
3) first time I checked the timing it was bright the second time it was dim or no light
4) I am just about positive the wiring is hooked up right black wires to + 15, white,green, gray/green to - 1 that is what the wiring diagram shows.
5) I get a constant light from the test light when I touch the positive side
6) sounds like the idle is low but not sure it stalls before i can make it to the air flow meter and try and pick up RPM's or idle
7) no backfire it is not loud
So that is where I am at I don't know where to start next it was late and I didn't want to wake the people I live with by messing around too much.
other notes that may be of use
1) I have no break lights at all everything else seems to work OK blinkers, head lights, side markers, dash.
2) Reverse lights are not working but I am not sure if they ever did the inline fuse was disconnected but that may be where my wiring problem lies if that is the problem.
3) # 10 fuse was blowing when I turned windshield washer switch on when I disconnect the ground to the motor fuse does not blow.
That is all I can think of for now I hope it is enough to get some help with getting this running I need a vehicle for work and the patients of the people I stay with are running out as far as rides go.

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Still wasn't able to get the bus running today. I don't really know where to start next. Anyway my posts will be slowing down in the next few days Phish tour has started and if I don't have the bus running by Monday I will be hitchhiking to the shows and not be back until the 5th of November if I decide to come back this way. Thank you all for your help and time.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am

Safe travels, herrnkind. You can leave us hanging while you're on tour, but don't abandon your bus for too long. I hope you come back to it.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm

So for anyone that wanted a status on the bus and what is going on this is where I am at. I was able to get it running but it was not running properly. I brought it to a shop they have had it for a little over 3 weeks thinking it is a fuel injection problem. I bought some parts for them to try and called today answer was its drivable but has very little power. I am going on 4 months with no vehicle In the two years I have had this VW I think I have been able to drive it less than 6 months. It has been a nightmare for me since the beginning snow is falling and getting to work is harder for me. I am just in a really bad space at this time. I have been trying to be positive about the whole situation but I think I have reached my breaking point. when it is all done and said I have over 8,000 invested and no running vehicle. Thank you all for the help you have offered I am just at a loss I need to have a reliable car the nice people that have been letting me stay with them will not last forever and when all my money goes to a vehicle that wont run their patients run out also.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Did the shop do a compression test on the engine?

Are the lifters actually "in the socket"?

Did they set the dwell angle and the timing correctly?

DId they check the fuel pressure?

Tell us just what have they done and why they think it is a FI problem.

I hope these are not the same guys that installed that engine.
79 VW Bus