Building questions

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Building questions

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 pm

How do I know what pitch cam shaft gear I need, and what does it mean? What's the logic in a straight cut cam gear?

And then on Aircooled.net, they are pushing a max MPG build. What are folks thoughts on this? Right on their home page.

http://www.aircooled.net

If you bite the bullet and invest in a new case, it would be nuts to put a reground crankshaft into it, or a used camshaft, or reground lifters, would go all new, or why bother?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Building questions

Post by hambone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:40 am

Just get a new Brazilian one, wouldya?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 pm

ruckman101 wrote:How do I know what pitch cam shaft gear I need, and what does it mean? What's the logic in a straight cut cam gear?

neal
Neal. Sit down. Ask yourself what YOU want! Then go make it happen.

Do not fwip around in circles at all the Amazing Advice and Options.

A straight-cut cam/crank gear howls like a supercharger. It is easier on the camshaft thrust bearings, yes, but it will drill your brains out over time.

ruckman101 wrote:And then on Aircooled.net, they are pushing a max MPG build. What are folks thoughts on this? Right on their home page.

http://www.aircooled.net

neal
I have many many many questions about that page. I don't hear the voice of experience speaking there, not a damn bit. I respect his performance articles and his deep knowledge of performance parts, but "Maxy MPG Champ" "our "Mileage Master" our "Super Sipper" our yeahrightblaaah.

Show me any damn modern true fuel economy gas engine that lightens the reciprocating mass.

ruckman101 wrote:If you bite the bullet and invest in a new case, it would be nuts to put a reground crankshaft into it, or a used camshaft, or reground lifters, would go all new, or why bother?

neal
Not at all. Mix-n-match to your heart's content. The new case only knows the bearings that fit into its saddles. It will feel the state of balance of the crankshaft, but otherwise never meet it. It will never meet the camshaft. Lifters? Their diameter interacts with the lifter bores of the case, but not the reground bottoms.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Still pondering those cases. Aluminum. Bob suggested magnesium conducts heat better, but from what I find on the interwebbies, the opposite is true, that an aluminum case would keep the engine cooler.

Leaning to new parts if I go this route, Scat forged counterweighted crank, new stock rods, new four rivet dished stock cam, new Febi lifters.

Big investment.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Still waffling. How would I be able to hold my "stock" head high after that? Eh. Gonna go chat with Todd the case builder tomorrow. Pistons and lifters are in. Hopefully meet Brett Matney of Matney racing who haven't touched my heads or transmissions after a week. One more machine shop to check re: spin balancing the drive train. NAPA of all things. Go figure.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:43 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Still waffling. How would I be able to hold my "stock" head high after that? Eh. Gonna go chat with Todd the case builder tomorrow. Pistons and lifters are in. Hopefully meet Brett Matney of Matney racing who haven't touched my heads or transmissions after a week. One more machine shop to check re: spin balancing the drive train. NAPA of all things. Go figure.

neal

Neal this is a questions/answers forum, not a daily (hourly) diary of what you are thinking about.
You are invited to do a engine build diary in the Type 2 forum like other bus owners have, but we need this Engine Forum to have subject headers with specific questions that let searchers with similar or parallel questions find what they need to know. You saw how I condensed three of your posts in this thread with three individual answers from me all into one each?

So if you create Bertha's Engine Rebuild or something creatively Neal-like in the Type 2 forum, you can sally forth with updates, observations, pithy asides, arty shots welcome . . .

HERE in this forum, you ASK your "building" QUESTIONS with a NEED TO KNOW question that I and others can research and answer for the greater readership.

I don't know what to say about Todd and Brett and I can't go figure, because NAPA does do all sorts of machine shop operations and whatnot in various stores . . .
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Okay, okay. Valid point. Forgive me my indulgences. I'll regroup and keep it condensed.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 am

ruckman101 wrote:Okay, okay. Valid point. Forgive me my indulgences. I'll regroup and keep it condensed.

neal
Now I am having second thoughts . . . We have Herrnkind's Engine Thread here that is less technical, yet desperately on-topic and possibly interesting to the Engine querists and readership. Perhaps if you can do two threads, one right here for your technical questions and a diary of engine rehab in the Type 2?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 am

Deal. My ramblings are a reflection of my process. Nothing like a green light to go ahead with what you thought was a dream. And you know my penchant for second guessing every decision I make. $1450 is quite an investment.

Roller coaster of Yes then No.

neal

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Betcha type2 forum is more your speed for this sorta thing. It was for me, and when I had specific ("had") technical questions, I started a new TECHNICAL thread on just that issue. Ehh whattaya huh eh ya know
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:43 pm

hambone wrote:Betcha type2 forum is more your speed for this sorta thing. It was for me, and when I had specific ("had") technical questions, I started a new TECHNICAL thread on just that issue. Ehh whattaya huh eh ya know
Hambone, was that your first official engine overhaul on Ma sort of interspersed in Mike's engine thread? I'd like to extract your posts regarding your engine from Mike's engine rebuild thread and make a dedicated engine thread for you.
Colin