Tracking down engine vibration

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Tracking down engine vibration

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Fresh engine in Gretchen Ghia, and unsettling vibration at higher rpms. Engine, as the vibration is there in neutral. Not the fan, as vibration was there with the fan belt off.

Really really really annoying as I had the drive-train balanced as a unit. Pistons, connecting rods, pulley, flywheel and pressure plate to the crankshaft.

Got the engine pulled today and I certainly got the pressure plate properly mated to the flywheel based on the yellow marks.

So how about flywheel to crankshaft.

Yep. Gland nut isn't showing any visible cracks or issues.

So I'm scratching my head. Should I not have used the paper gasket?

Only thing left is the clutch plate itself.

Hmmmm. What the hell is that thing? Why? Whafor? Could that be it? A rubbery chunk of something. None of the other springs seem to have a rubbery chunk, so I don't think it worked out of just the one spring, didn't see anything on the other springs. Is the rubber part of the clutch plate assembly?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Tracking down engine vibration

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 pm

looks like something's up. whats the fiber looking shtuff in the right spring and behind the rubbery shtuff? time to look at the p/p, eh?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Still perplexed. Father in law was of the opinion the rubber chunk wasn't hefty enough to be the issue, but wasn't a good thing. Fiber looking strands I think are slivers of rubber. Frustrating.

Will give things a better looking over tomorrow.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 am

ruckman101 wrote:Still perplexed. Father in law was of the opinion the rubber chunk wasn't hefty enough to be the issue, but wasn't a good thing. Fiber looking strands I think are slivers of rubber. Frustrating.

Will give things a better looking over tomorrow.neal
1600 does not use a paper gasket. It uses an o-ring. You maybe maybe had a flywheel not exactly mated to crankshaft. But again, this is today's world, and what people say they do may not be exactly what happens. I am sorry you have this predicament. If you have the flywheel off and the pressure plate off, I would hie them to the balancer and have a re-check with verification. I would press for validation of correct balance.
HerrKolin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:37 am

The balance job was done probably a good dozen years ago at Dan Hall's. Confident of the integrity of the work. They did bulk work for local reputable repair shops at the time. The vibration isn't violent. New O-ring is there. I guess I need to visit and hopefully run my issues past the folks there now with hope of insight. How can you check the balance of parts of the assembly balanced as a whole? Nothing was loose in terms of pressure plate or gland nut torques. Dowels are tight.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 am

Have you run it without the rubber bits in the clutch plate? Seems like just those would throw it off enough at high rpms.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 am

What would worry me about that clutch disk is that those are the rubber bits that you can see. Leads me to wonder about what you can't see hidden in the crevices of the disk assembly sandwich.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Well I do have other clutch plates, but used. One looks doable, or wait until Monday and get a new one, or pick the rubber out of the one I have and give it a go.

neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 pm

have you taken the p/p off? whats the disc look like? where did that shtuff come from?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Pressure plate is off, flywheel is off. I suspect the "shtuff" was there from manufacture. I have a solid clutch plate I could use, but suspect the spring style would give us smoother operation.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Or it could be that the springy disk is what is causing your vibrations. Like you hit a harmonic at certain RPMs that sets the springs to singing.

Jest speculatin'
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 am

SlowLane wrote:Or it could be that the springy disk is what is causing your vibrations. Like you hit a harmonic at certain RPMs that sets the springs to singing.

Jest speculatin'
Unlikely. The clutch disk springs are to absorb radial torque shock at engagement. They are free to sit there and rotate slowly or rattle a bit, even. The disk pilots the hub to the friction plate pretty carefully. I have not seen a clutch plate that uses rubber though.

Neal, if the vibration occurs with your foot on the clutch pedal as you rev the engine, it is not the clutch disk as it sits stationary in those moments.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am

Did not have sense enough to do such a test that would have helped isolate issues. Dang. Waiting to pick up a new clutch plate Monday.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

We have resolution. Joy!

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Lugged pressure plate and flywheel down to Dan Hall's. Apparently the pressure plate had a bit of play at the edge, so wasn't centered on the flywheel. That would do it.

So they put in a couple of guide pins and rebalanced it for me this afternoon, despite their three week back-log of work, to "make it right". Fantastic! I can't say how impressed I am, big bundles of impressed. What a great guy!

Tomorrow we'll get it back in.

neal