High oil temp and forensic engine investigation

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Re: High oil temp and forensic engine investigation

Post by drober23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am

No, I don't. I held off responding because I thought I could find the original notes that Jake provided with the engine. I can't seem to put my hands on them, which disappoints me a bunch. Anyway, no idea what gears are in there.

I plan to check the end play next time I have the engine out. Not sure if I will drop it this fall though. I need to change my transaxle final drive seals (got a leak starting), but I think I can do that with the trans in place.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:49 pm

drober23 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am
No, I don't. I held off responding because I thought I could find the original notes that Jake provided with the engine. I can't seem to put my hands on them, which disappoints me a bunch. Anyway, no idea what gears are in there.

I plan to check the end play next time I have the engine out. Not sure if I will drop it this fall though. I need to change my transaxle final drive seals (got a leak starting), but I think I can do that with the trans in place.

Next time you are rooting around under the engine, look directly up from the carrier at the center rear of the engine.
If you have a flat plate, it is likely a Melling 30mm. If it is an aluminum cap with a protrusion, that is the factory 26mm pump. Strangely enough, the little factory pump so very often does a much better job at idle because it is perfectly indexed with the crankcase holes . . .

Yes, you can do the side seals installed:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10203
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 am

Definitely a flat plate up there. I have some pictures from the build that confirm this:

The oil pressure is quite low at idle. How does the pressure provided by the Melling pump compare to stock at high RPM though? You learn new things every day!
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am

drober23 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 am
Definitely a flat plate up there. I have some pictures from the build that confirm this:

The oil pressure is quite low at idle. How does the pressure provided by the Melling pump compare to stock at high RPM though? You learn new things every day!
Normally, the aftermarket big pumps get better at high rpm.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

might be excessive endplay. JR is known for that.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench