Type 4 2.0L AMC cylinder heads

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cjacaruso
I'm New!

Type 4 2.0L AMC cylinder heads

Post by cjacaruso » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 pm

So I have put on a pair of new AMC heads on my type 4 2.0L engine. As I am assembling I am having a lot of trouble getting the engine tin to fit and the intake manifolds to go on. When comparing the AMC to my old cracked VW heads I notice the outside castings are a bit different than the VW heads. This seems to be the reason for the trouble fitting the tin and intake manifolds. Has anyone else had this problem? I can use a Dremel to remove some of the excess aluminum casting material. I can force the sheet metal and intake manifolds on if necessary but I would prefer to get the fit better. Any info will help. Thanks!

cjacaruso
I'm New!

Re: Type 4 2.0L AMC cylinder heads

Post by cjacaruso » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 pm

I ground away some extra aluminum flashing from the AMC heads just above the valve covers and just below the intake area. Now the intake manifolds fit nicely. The AMC's had some extra flashing/casting which sat about 1/4" higher than the original VW heads. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tins to fit better. Both main tins which fit over the cylinders and heads hit the heads which prevents them from seating all the way down. The AMC heads are about 2 mm (42.5 vs 40.5) wider than the VW heads across the fin area closest to the case. I don't want to take too much off of the last fin but would also like the tins to fit correctly. They are original VW tins. Each fin is about 3.5 mm so if I take off 2 mm..... Maybe I'm being too picky and should just put 'em on and call it good enough.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 pm

You won't hurt anything by grinding away a bit of the cooling fins.

The new AMC heads should have any extraneous casting flashing ground down anywhere you can reach it.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

cjacaruso
I'm New!

Post by cjacaruso » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks Satchmo! Kind of what I thought. I wish I would have looked more carefully before bolting up the cylinder heads to the cylinders. I'll get there.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Haha, yes, we’ll all get there.
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius