Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Another newbie rebuild

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

82bessieblue wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:16 pm
Per Muir, any spacing greater than 0.016" between the connecting rod landing and edge of crankshaft should be replaced. I used the 0.016" feeler gauge on all four connecting rods and it would not fit.
That is but one of three specifications. The side-to-side clearance you mention above allows the crankshaft to both move in the bearings (end play) and expand along its length. The critical specification is the bearing clearance between the crankshaft and the connecting rod. It should range between .001" and .004" with a wear limit of .006" (this would be in the push/pull direction).
82bessieblue wrote:
As I mentioned in my previous post, I definitely intend to install/replace the thermostat/cooling flap system. They were removed by the PO.
Good. And necessary.
But the #3 piston/cylinder clearly show trauma. The engine had an overheat event. Do you have any recall of an overheat/hot day's journey on the interstate/ poor running at speed?

82bessieblue wrote:
This is a magnificently mangled sentence.
I was going to write up a long response to this, but I will choose to take the high road and ignore it.
But I will not be denigrated. I'll find another source of info, thanks.
You most certainly were not denigrated. You were respected as an adult who may want to improve and learn. You can see it in the investment of time that I have devoted to answering your questions. In order for us to communicate, we really need to be precise. There are many many sites on the internet where people are led astray because communication was sloppy. So many times, right and left, front and rear, and creative-but-incorrect terminology sends the poor neophyte down the rabbit hole. I am a master of mangled sentences and tortured syntax, many members here can't spell their way out a paper bag, I will correct "breaks" vs brakes, and we all just continue on in the name of excellence and precision.

You wrote up in the initial post,
Long time reader, first time poster. So our '82 Vanagon 2.0L is giving up the ghost

As mentioned in the Mission Statement, we are adults here and expect that grown-ups can handle a little teasing in the name of learning! in the name of making your car last! in the name of the humor that has pervaded this place since 2006! Seriously!
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm

82bessieblue wrote:
This is classic. I was going to write up a long response to this, but I will choose to take the high road and ignore it.

But I will not be denigrated. I'll find another source of info, thanks.
I don't think you're going to find any others eyes as sharp as this site's on the internet in 2018. Consider the fact that engine specifications do not exist in a vacuum- we have to be seriously diligent with what measurement we consider most important.

I have not yet seen a VW rod that does not fit in a VW crankshaft. Add to that, the radial clearance of the bearing and rod is one of THE most important engine measurements in any engine. We can't accept sloppy wording here, since our engines' lives depend on precision.

Let's strive to hit that precision with our work and descriptions so all our motoring years will be worry free. :)
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
100k miles with me.
279k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 pm

82bessieblue wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 am
... , so I'm debating whether or not to even crack open the case. I'll check the oil pump gears and the camshaft lobes/solid lifters and go from there.
Yup... this will be your deciding factor as to whether you need to crack the case. In particular, your camshaft lobes and lifters. Realize it will be difficult to post pics of the lobes with the case bolted together, but your lifters s/be easier to post pics.

FWIW - That was my deciding factor. Man, I really hate tearing apart a good running engine, but putting new heads, P&C's on my (very) tired cam shaft and lifters would have been like putting lipstick on a pig.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...8 completely solid lifters.... now it's both kinda noisy and leaky, but she sure runs good!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Yeah, he ain't comin' back.

Too bad. We had a good thing goin'. We wish him the best.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 pm

satchmo wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm
Yeah, he ain't comin' back.

Too bad. We had a good thing goin'. We wish him the best.

Satchmo

I looked at his activity window, he has not returned since the moment of his Grammatical Denigration.
Would you like a little denigration?
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles