Stripped Crank Keyway

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
User avatar
bajaman72
Addicted!
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am

Hello Everyone - It's been a while. my Bus has been running great for the past couple of years. Been driving it to all the major shows as well as a few off the grid camping.
Last trip to Bug In my alternator belt shredded. Not surprised. It was an old belt. New one on and off I went.
Couple of days later I noticed my alternator light on again. Thinking the belt shredded again I got out to check it out. Belt is still there and pulley is not turning while engine was running. Pulled it apart to find this. The crank keyway is about twice the normal width.

Any advice on a repair or am I forced to rebuild? Engine runs great otherwise
Fan Hub.jpg
Crank.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22828
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm

bajaman72 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am
Hello Everyone - It's been a while. my Bus has been running great for the past couple of years. Been driving it to all the major shows as well as a few off the grid camping.
Last trip to Bug In my alternator belt shredded. Not surprised. It was an old belt. New one on and off I went.
Couple of days later I noticed my alternator light on again. Thinking the belt shredded again I got out to check it out. Belt is still there and pulley is not turning while engine was running. Pulled it apart to find this. The crank keyway is about twice the normal width.

Any advice on a repair or am I forced to rebuild? Engine runs great otherwise
The engine needs to be torn down. That is too hard-working an area to McGyver.
But what made it fail? Was the center bolt loose?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 84,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
bajaman72
Addicted!
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

It did come loose once after the belt came off. I started it up in the driveway just to move it and noticed the alternator light didn't go off. When I got out to check the pulley was not turning.
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22828
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm

bajaman72 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm
It did come loose once after the belt came off. I started it up in the driveway just to move it and noticed the alternator light didn't go off. When I got out to check the pulley was not turning.
Are you preparing yourself for a teardown? It'll be fun, it'll be an adventure, it'll be a remarkable pain in the neck.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 84,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

wild man smith
I'm New!
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by wild man smith » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Putting 4 new fasteners on the parts list with my 2.0 liter rebuild, thanks for the reminder.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22828
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 am

wild man smith wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Putting 4 new fasteners on the parts list with my 2.0 liter rebuild, thanks for the reminder.
What fasteners are you speaking of?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 84,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

wild man smith
I'm New!
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by wild man smith » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Fasteners for the fan pulley, kinda nit picky , but to my mind, one less thing to get neurotic over as I visualize that fan spinning. Threads are in excellent shape on the Crankshaft, 4 new bolts seem like inexpensive insurance in this area. mike

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22828
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm

wild man smith wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 pm
Fasteners for the fan pulley, kinda nit picky , but to my mind, one less thing to get neurotic over as I visualize that fan spinning. Threads are in excellent shape on the Crankshaft, 4 new bolts seem like inexpensive insurance in this area. mike
If you have the original factory stock 13mm bolts, use them! The metallurgy is vastly superior to the chinese crap we suffer these days.
You really need to use the special center bolt with the serrated washer, and just torque these things up correctly. Believe it or not, that puts you in the top 5% of all mechanics, using a torque wrench and following the damn directions.
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 84,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
bajaman72
Addicted!
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm
bajaman72 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm
It did come loose once after the belt came off. I started it up in the driveway just to move it and noticed the alternator light didn't go off. When I got out to check the pulley was not turning.
Are you preparing yourself for a teardown? It'll be fun, it'll be an adventure, it'll be a remarkable pain in the neck.
Colin
I am now!
Tried the JB Weld trick with a new woodruff key just to get to Lake Havasu. Made it about 4 miles from the exit and had to be towed in. Tried the JB Weld trick again and managed to last long enough to get under the 200 mile range of AAA to tow to my house.
It is time for a new crankshaft/rebuild.. Also going to take care of the Exxon Valdez 091 transmission I put in a while back.

Should be Fun :salute:
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22828
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:09 pm

bajaman72 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Tried the JB Weld trick with a new woodruff key just to get to Lake Havasu.
Made it about 4 miles from the exit and had to be towed in.
Tried the JB Weld trick again and managed to last long enough to get under the 200 mile range of AAA to tow to my house.

Told you, did too.
That is too hard-working an area to McGyver.
Good luck, have fun, be careful.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 84,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
bajaman72
Addicted!
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 pm

So we put another key in and very carefully welded the fill in. Slid on a different hub and fan assembly. Pulley seemed a little wobbly (as always) and gave it a go. No Dice ( I know... You told me)
Fell apart again coming home from the BlackStar Campout. Oh yes... and it proceeded to destroy my new plastic fan cover AND my new Timing scale that was so lovingly painted by hand :(

I did fix my Exxon Valdez problem with my transmission. Ended up getting a full rebuild of the 091 at TransAxle Engineering in Chatsworth, Ca. Great guys and knowledgeable to boot. Transmission is working as it should with no leakage.

So basically on the hunt for a good used crank and a set of rods - I have multiple 1.7L engines and was thinking of using a case from one of those. Although I just renewed my insurance on the bus.. it will sit until I have a rebuilt engine.
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger

User avatar
tommu
Addicted!
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: Stripped Crank Keyway

Post by tommu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm

This guy might be open to offers. Get some rods, case and other bits too.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/p ... 82536.html

Post Reply

Return to “Engine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests