Looking for some tires.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Looking for some tires.

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks, guys! For the Maxxis 751's: Is this the correct terminology for the right size for my bus: 27 x 8.5 x r14 LT ?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:39 am

In the Maxxis line, the 27x835x14 is the size you would likely want. While they do have a nice "grippy" tread, they do only have a load index of 95 and can run up to 50 psi. I would doubt that would ever be an issue for you.

Please note that the original tires that would have come with the bus would have been 185R14 (no 70 aspect ratio). A 195R14 is similar but about 1/2" taller. The 195R14 Hankooks I have are rated "8 ply" as they have a load index of about 102.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:In the Maxxis line, the 27x835x14 is the size you would likely want. While they do have a nice "grippy" tread, they do only have a load index of 95 and can run up to 50 psi. I would doubt that would ever be an issue for you.

Please note that the original tires that would have come with the bus would have been 185R14 (no 70 aspect ratio). A 195R14 is similar but about 1/2" taller. The 195R14 Hankooks I have are rated "8 ply" as they have a load index of about 102.
He and his wife and his children are all fit and trim, by golly, that bus will be fine fully loaded with his people.

Meanwhile, I have had to field too many disappointed astonishments from Hankook owners that their tires barely lasted two seasons of modest driving, and managed to get thoroughly stuck on wet grass.

I have been gratified to find that the Maxxis 751s happily howl on the desert freeways at 120* and still clamor over the rocks and sand pits with aplomb . . .

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:30 am

Jivermo wrote:Thanks, guys! For the Maxxis 751's: Is this the correct terminology for the right size for my bus: 27 x 8.5 x r14 LT ?
Were you able to see if these guys in Miami could order you up some Maxxis tires?
79 VW Bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Nope. So I called Maxxis USA in Atlanta, and got two nice southern belles, who also gave me some distributors, none of whom could help me. It's simply nuts; business must be real good. I'm thinking I'll look for another brand. Colin told me just keep drivin' on my cracked tires, so okay.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:40 pm

https://www.onlinetires.com/products/ve ... ++owl.html

It's extra to ship them, but you do appear to be able to order them online. When I checked my own zip code it would add $53 to the total for shipping.
1979 California Transporter

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Fantastic! Thank you. I asked them specifically for an online dealer, and they could not come up with an answer. Tire Rack did not carry the brand.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:46 am

Randy in Maine wrote:In the Maxxis line, the 27x835x14 is the size you would likely want. While they do have a nice "grippy" tread, they do only have a load index of 95 and can run up to 50 psi. I would doubt that would ever be an issue for you.

Is this the size we need for Baywindows? 185R14's for a 71 Westy? My current tires are way to small, and old.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 am

Nokian makes the perfect 185R14 tyre for our vans/ busses. It's the cLine Van ( used to be called the Cargo C, but I guess they have to keep their marketeers busy). I have a set of the Cargo C Van and just love them to bits.
They are street tires, good for highways. Not especialy grippy. If you want grippy, check out the Hakkapellitas. You would be fully prepared for the next freak snowstorm. :blackeye:
Nokian's web store-finder thingy shows a number of retailers in the Orlando area, so you might be able to find somebody who knows something there.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 am

Sylvester wrote:

Is this the size we need for Baywindows? 185R14's for a 71 Westy? My current tires are way to small, and old.
Your owners manual says this....but I am not sure if you could find a 7.00 x 14 tire to save your life. For you 185R14 or 195R14 or 195/75/14 or 27x8.50 would all work well for you. Just be sure it will support at least 1520 pounds and will go to 40 psi or better. I like the 6 or 8 ply rating to give you some stiffness in the sidewalls.

79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 am

SlowLane wrote:Nokian makes the perfect 185R14 tyre for our vans/ busses. It's the cLine Van ( used to be called the Cargo C, but I guess they have to keep their marketeers busy). I have a set of the Cargo C Van and just love them to bits.
They are street tires, good for highways. Not especialy grippy. If you want grippy, check out the Hakkapellitas. You would be fully prepared for the next freak snowstorm. :blackeye:
Nokian's web store-finder thingy shows a number of retailers in the Orlando area, so you might be able to find somebody who knows something there.
I couldn't find our load range or size for Hakkapellitas. I must have some off-road / poor traction capability or I may not make it back to "civilization".
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:54 am

Civilization is really over rated Colin.

These are pretty grippy tires.....

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-12276-vrede ... tires.aspx
79 VW Bus

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm

someone local to me is selling 6 Hankook RA08's with under 5K miles on them for $300....

Personally I prefer the Maxxis or the BFG's, but it seems like a pretty good deal for the asking price.

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/rvs/5430387911.html
1979 California Transporter

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

I think that is a pretty decent deal if they are not too old (check the "Made on" date codes).
79 VW Bus

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I couldn't find our load range or size for Hakkapellitas. I must have some off-road / poor traction capability or I may not make it back to "civilization".
Colin
Dang, you're right. Sorry, I got mine in Canada back in 2011. They are pretty serious snow tires. Van-Cafe used to carry them, but they seem to focus more on the larger sizes favoured by most Vanagon drivers nowadays.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett