New tires, now pulls to the left

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

New tires, now pulls to the left

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 am

So I got a good deal on four new rims and tires from craigslist (for the beetle). I swapped them this weekend and now the last remnants of the infamous Super shimmy are gone. :cheers:

However, I now have a definite pull to the left. I'm perplexed as it sure doesn't seem like just changing wheels and tires should cause this. Pressures are ok, no brakes are hanging up. Could I have had a loose alignment adjustment somewhere that just decided to slide when I jacked up? Thoughts? What to check?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:21 am

Why did the last guy sell them? :geek:

Have you taken the rims/tires to a shop to see if they are bent?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:31 am

I had a bent rim on my 72 Gremlin back in the 80's. I know, flashback, but it would pull in one direction and wobble the car above 65. It can do strange things, get them checked.

Gremlins rule!

[/Hijack complete]
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 am

They aren't bent, as I have no wobble. The last guy sold them cause he decided to go baja. They're new (not just new to me) tires and new rims.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:07 am

Check for incorrect bearing play, worn steering parts, or brake adjustment (both wheels). Does this happen when braking?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 am

What happens when you swap them left to right?
79 VW Bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 am

Randy in Maine wrote:What happens when you swap them left to right?
This was going to be my next test.

Braking doesn't seem to affect it... and as I mentioned above the brakes aren't hanging up. I'm perplexed.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 am

to check for bent rims jack up, place something heavy next to tire and spin. watch the tiny gap between tire and heavy object as wheel spins. a 2 pound hammer or a brick works.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 am

vdubyah73 wrote:to check for bent rims jack up, place something heavy next to tire and spin. watch the tiny gap between tire and heavy object as wheel spins. a 2 pound hammer or a brick works.
Maybe I'm missing something. A bent rim causes vibration and shimmying, no? That's why I ditched my last set. They weren't able to completely balance out the rims due to the fact that they were "bent".

A constant pull in one direction couldn't be caused by a bent rim, correct? The new setup does not exhibit any shimmying, just the constant pull. It's more noticeable the faster I drive. Barely noticeable in town, a moderate amount of pressure down the highway. I can actually tell that I'm holding the steering wheel in a slightly new position to the right to compensate (and it doesn't want to stay there on its own).
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 am

I'll toss this stinker out. Is it possible the front-end alignment was mis-adjusted in order to compensate for the bent-wheel induced shimmy? Now that you have true wheels on the vehicle, the alignment is off? Just a guess, let the flames begin.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 am

dtrumbo wrote:I'll toss this stinker out. Is it possible the front-end alignment was mis-adjusted in order to compensate for the bent-wheel induced shimmy? Now that you have true wheels on the vehicle, the alignment is off? Just a guess, let the flames begin.
That thought occurred to me as well.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX