Rear new shocks top bolt troubles!!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Rear new shocks top bolt troubles!!

Post by upnorthman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:25 pm

I was tightening the bolt and working towards the correct torque. There was an audible click then it just kept spinning. Any one experienced this and know a solution? That is one tight spot to work in. I know the shock won't stay put (personal experience in the driveway).
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 pm

I had a broken rear upper shock mount on my bus. I can't remember details but it involved a drill, a mig welder and a long grade 8 bolt. Welded the grade 8 bolt in place of the original shock mount. That bolt was not the original size diameter. had to open the shock bushings up with the drill and the nut is sae. If I sell it the next owner will be thinking "PO HACK". But I have a shock that is securely mounted with no rattles. Took me longer to scratch my head and chase ideas than it did to actually make the repair.

Let me know what you find as you dig deeper, it will jog my memory. I have CRS. I was gonna create a new page on face book for people with CRS...... My user name was gonna be Al Ziemer, that name was taken.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm

That is something I did consider. How did you weld in such a tight spot? Good call on the CRS!

I am torn. It is not the bolt that was stripped, it is the nut itself. I can get the tip of my finger up there and feel that the nut and it feels like its not all there. It's like it was doomed from the factory. I know the PO mentioned that that bolt likes to go loose for some reason. There was no rust on the bolt when it came out. No problems on the other side and I can feel more of the nut up there.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 am

I bought a longer M12 bolt and cut off the head. I then tried to tack weld it in place, it did not hold.:pale: I had the shock on and was tightening down and she slipped off the welds perty easy?!?!? I am not an experienced welder. I borrowed a 110 v welder from a friend, its got a wire that feeds out when you pull the trigger. I can only figure that it needs welding in the back side too. So you used a mig? If you remember how it was welded it would be much appreciated.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 pm

used a mig. with gas and .024? wire. I don't remember the layout it was 5 years or so ago. there is a tube in the hole through the frame? threads are on other side of frame rail? in a spot that looks like they start with that part and build the bus around it? I think I drilled out the threads on the other end of the tube so my new stud would fit into the formerly threaded other end. Drill it out, only big enough, to have to tap the home made replacement stud in with a hammer. It must go into the threaded area and still be long enough, to mount the shock along with the nut and the washers to hold it on. I'm pretty sure that I welded a thick grade 5 or 8 washer over the hole of the tube and around the new stud, a reinforcing pad to spread the load out. once the washer is welded, weld the stud and washer together.

Key points.
1) home made stud has to be long enough to fit all the way through the frame rail, fit the washer shock mount and it's washers and a nut to hold it all on.

2) home made stud needs to at least fit snugly in the drilled out threaded end of tube. the reason is you want that end of the stud to stay put. it shouldn't move once the repair is finished. I couldn't find an easy way to get back there to do anything else. If it isn't quite snug in it's fit you can make it tighter when you weld on the washer.

3) don't weld the washer on before putting new stud in place. Put the washer on stud, insert stud into position, wiggle it. if it wiggles up and down weld the washer into place with the washer at the highest point of the wiggle.

4) reason for the tight fit. if it can wiggle after welding with the forces of the shock movement, it will break worse in due time.

5) clean the area to be welded down to bright shiny metal.
crank up the heat so you can get a weld that doesn't sit on top of the surface it has to penetrate to work. my weld was fairly heavy. the washers that come with the shock will handle rubbing on the welds just fine. my repair has lasted just fine, about 5 years now.

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Thank you... The washer sounds great. Today I ordered two longer bolts a 120 mm and a 130 mm the one I tried to get in there was a 110 I think and it was not long enough. It did not go all the way back to where you could feel it with your finger tip back there. I have been in contact with a 'real' welder and I think he will come out later this week. It is one of those things you want done right. I'll grab a couple of those washers too. I will also post some photos when I'm done. Thanks again!
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:59 pm

how'd it turn out?

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Got it! I have been restoring the computer after a complete re-install of windows. Wow talk about CRS.....

I will post photos and details when I get back from vaca.

Thanks for the tips, very well worth it! A little info.... I did have a washer welded on to the bolt.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:48 pm

OK a week in Michigan's Upper Penninsula and another week to get back into the swing of reality....

[albumimg]3069[/albumimg]
You can see the remains of my first try.

[albumimg]3070[/albumimg]
All cleaned up.

[albumimg]3071[/albumimg]
The bolt with washer welded by someone that knows what they are doing. 130 mm with the head cut off.

[albumimg]3072[/albumimg]
He even made me a spacer!

[albumimg]3074[/albumimg]
On my first attempt I found that the feed for the welder was too slow. So I had someone finish it for me.

[albumimg]3075[/albumimg]
Just enough room to get the back side too.

Still working!!
Thanks again for the help!
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?